US: Pinnacle Foods workers ratify new contract
Pinnacle has had a run of declining earnings of late
Workers at US food group Pinnacle Foods have agreed a new four-year contract that includes a pay increase.
Around 400 workers had backed strike action last month over Pinnacle's planned pension reforms.
However, a statement from the United Food and Commercial Workers International Union (UFCW) yesterday (19 February), said workers had voted to ratify a contract that "preserves their pension plan and includes a wage increase of $1.60 to $1.80 over the term of the agreement".
"The fact that we were able to preserve retirement benefits for Pinnacle Foods workers is significant," said UFCW Local 617 president Darin Boatman. "Pensions allow workers to remain in the middle class, boost their savings rates during retirement and reinvest in our economy. This contract is not only a win for Pinnacle Foods workers, it's also a win for the surrounding communities."
Pinnacle, which also sells frozen foods under the Birds Eye brand in the US, has had a run of declining earnings of late. In November, the firm booked a drop in third-quarter profits, which were hit by charges related to restructuring and refinancing.
US food group Pinnacle Foods has predicted its planned acquisition of Unilever's Wish-Bone salad dressings business will boost sales and earnings....
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- The benefits of engaging staff in sustainability
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- Fonterra says value-added strategy paying off
- Ireland unveils national plan to tackle obesity
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Gen Mills uses NPD, renovation to heat soup sales
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities