US: Pinnacle to cut debt with Hillshire termination fee
Pinnacle bows out of Hillshire agreement
The US food group released Hillshire from its proposed takeover late yesterday, leaving the way clear for its once would-be buyer to itself be sold to Tyson Foods.
Under the terms of their agreement, Hillshire will pay Pinnacle US$163m. Pinnacle will use the proceeds to pay down debt. As a result, interest expenses for the current fiscal year is expected to fall "slightly below" the US$100m previously disclosed. Interest savings in fiscal 2014 will be reinvested in the business, Pinnacle said.
"The termination payment provides us with increased optionality in executing our strategy," CEO Bob Gamgort said.
The company has focused on a strategy of "reinvigorating iconic brands" such as Birds Eye through investment in innovation and brand building. "We continue to manage well through the difficult industry and category environment that we have discussed previously," Gamgort added.
The scrapping of the agreement paves the way for US meat giant Tyson Foods to buy Hillshire.
Hillshire's move for Pinnacle sparked a bidding war for the Jimmy Dean sausage maker itself between Tyson and another US meat processor Pilgrim's Pride.
Three weeks ago, Tyson submitted a US$8.55bn bid for Hillshire, prompting Pilgrim's to quit the race. A week later, Hillshire's board withdrew its support to buy Pinnacle and said a sale to Tyson would "result in a transaction that is more favorable to its stockholders from a financial point of view".
Hillshire said yesterday it could confirm Pinnacle had terminated the agreement and added: "Consistent with its duties, the Hillshire Brands board will promptly review the Tyson offer."
Pilgrim’s Pride Corporation (Pilgrim’s Pride) is engaged in the production, processing, marketing and distribution of fresh, frozen and value-added chicken products. The company offers fresh chicken p...
The Hillshire Brands Company - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and ser...
The report presents detailed data on consumption trends in the Ambient Meat category in United States, analyzing consumption volumes and values. It also provides indispensable data on distribution cha...
The report presents detailed data on consumption trends in the Chilled Raw Packaged Meat - Processed category in United States, analyzing consumption volumes and values at segment level. It also provi...
- Premier Foods CEO expects UK supermarket rebound
- Why Post is increasing its exposure to cereal
- Briefing: The risks and rewards of e-tail in China
- Unilever must "speed" response to consumer trends
- just-food's pick: Natural Products Expo top 10
- Post Holdings strikes deal to acquire MOM Brands
- Up & Go breakfast drinks set for UK launch
- Crisp maker Sibell acquires Spain's Celigueta
- Hershey to acquire meat jerky firm Krave
- Hershey linked to takeover of jerky maker Krave
- 10 Key Trends in Food, Health and Nutrition 2015
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets
- Unilever - Strategy and SWOT Report
- The Future of Retailing in the UK to 2017
- Global Consumer Trend Framework: Understanding Attitudes and Behaviors that Influence Global Consumption Habits