UK: Pizza Express may become focus of takeover battle
UK restaurant chain Pizza Express may become the focus of a takeover battle after recommending a £263m (US$414.9m) offer from former chairman and co-founder Luke Johnson.
Johnson made his bid through Venice Bidder, a firm set up specifically to takeover Pizza Express.
However, following the news that a takeover of the restaurant chain might finally be agreed, venture capital firms TDR Capital and Capricorn Ventures International (CVI) said they might make a higher bid for the company.
"(We) are considering whether to make an offer for Pizza Express at a premium to the offer price announced by Venice bidder," the two companies said in a statement.
- General Mills sales woes continue - analysis
- Why personalisation will take-off in US food
- US food next wave on display at Winter Fancy Food
- Analysis: Chocolate sector's deforestation pledge
- Comment: Meal kits in US - don't believe the hype
- Kraft Heinz cuts jobs in US, Canada
- Mondelez set for union crosshairs next week
- Mondelez plays down impact of union action
- Recipe-kit firm HelloFresh launches into UK retail
- Germany's Haribo plans first US candy plant