UK: PizzaExpress mulls refreshed bid for City Centre Restaurants
Following the rebuff of its initial offer yesterday (2 November), PizzaExpress is believed to be taking time to reconsider its takeover bid of 65p per share for City Centre Restaurants . The City Centre group, which owns Est Est Est and Garfunkel's , recently issued a profit warning and released a statement promising that "the senior management continues to progress its strategic review of the group with a view to maximising shareholder value." Poor performance over the summer meant that its stock value had fallen to a ten-year low, but this rose again by 13% following analysts' speculation that PizzaExpress and a consortium of investors are now preparing to offer up to 75p per share.Following its recent difficulties, it was initially assumed that City Centre would focus on streamlining, to concentrate on its popular brands such as Caffe Uno and Frankie & Benny's, but now it seems that several bidders are on the scene pushing for a takeover, and PizzaExpress may be facing some fierce competition from Whitbread. The pub/restaurant group declined to comment however.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Why personalisation will take-off in US food
- US food next wave on display at Winter Fancy Food
- Comment: Meal kits in US - don't believe the hype
- General Mills sales woes continue - analysis
- Interview: The Soulfull Project's mission
- Post Holdings 'close to acquiring Weetabix'
- Kraft Heinz cuts jobs in US, Canada
- Recipe-kit firm HelloFresh launches into UK retail
- UK, EU food faces "more costly" trade, warns study
- Mondelez set for union crosshairs next week