UK/EUROPE: Police to investigate horse meat scandal
The UK's Food Standards Agency confirmed this morning (8 February) it is cooperating with European police authorities as it works to get to the bottom of the horse meat scandal.
According to the FSA, the "significant amount of horse meat" in Tesco beef burgers and Findus ready meals, which were produced by suppliers in Ireland and France, suggests either "gross negligence" or "deliberate contamination".
"This is why we have already involved the police, both here and in Europe," the food safety watchdog said.
"We believe that these two particular cases - the frozen burgers from Tesco and the lasagne from Findus - are linked to suppliers in Ireland and France respectively. We are working closely with the authorities in these countries to get to the root of the problem."
The agency emphasised there is no reason "to suspect health issues" with "frozen food in general" and insisted it is not advising the public to stop eating it.
What is your outlook for the industry in 2013?
Join hundreds of food industry executives in giving your views on the prospects for the sector in just-food.com's annual confidence survey - and have the chance to win one of five free annual subscriptions to just-food.com worth £175.
Click here to answer questions on M&A, consumer confidence, innovation and sustainability.
All answers will remain confidential. Results will be published in a just-food webinar on 28 February.
UK snacks firm New York Delhi has secured a listing with Australia's largest retailer Woolworths Ltd but the company insists it is aiming to grow without "selling out" to the large supermarket chains....
- Rabobank's early view on Brexit impact on food
- Brexit sparks uncertainty for UK food - comment
- New food waste standard will help monitor progress
- How local model protects Nestle - interview
- How to win in Australian gluten-free cereal
- Brexit – Live reaction from food industry
- Nestle names new CEO
- Brexit - UK food trade body issues warning
- Brexit - Europe's food makers call result "a blow"
- Brexit - Irish food export agency sounds warning
- Top Trends in Snacks, Confectionery, and Desserts; Exploring consumer and innovation trends in key categories
- Frozen Bakery Products Market by Type, Distribution Channel, & by Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2020
- Singapore Food and Drink Report Q3 2016
- Fast Food in India
- Country Analysis Report: Saudi Arabia, In-depth PESTLE Insights