UK/EUROPE: Police to investigate horse meat scandal
The UK's Food Standards Agency confirmed this morning (8 February) it is cooperating with European police authorities as it works to get to the bottom of the horse meat scandal.
According to the FSA, the "significant amount of horse meat" in Tesco beef burgers and Findus ready meals, which were produced by suppliers in Ireland and France, suggests either "gross negligence" or "deliberate contamination".
"This is why we have already involved the police, both here and in Europe," the food safety watchdog said.
"We believe that these two particular cases - the frozen burgers from Tesco and the lasagne from Findus - are linked to suppliers in Ireland and France respectively. We are working closely with the authorities in these countries to get to the root of the problem."
The agency emphasised there is no reason "to suspect health issues" with "frozen food in general" and insisted it is not advising the public to stop eating it.
What is your outlook for the industry in 2013?
Join hundreds of food industry executives in giving your views on the prospects for the sector in just-food.com's annual confidence survey - and have the chance to win one of five free annual subscriptions to just-food.com worth £175.
Click here to answer questions on M&A, consumer confidence, innovation and sustainability.
All answers will remain confidential. Results will be published in a just-food webinar on 28 February.
UK snacks firm New York Delhi has secured a listing with Australia's largest retailer Woolworths Ltd but the company insists it is aiming to grow without "selling out" to the large supermarket chains....
Tesco Kipa Kitle Pazarlama Ticaret ve Gida Sanayi aims to increase its number of stores throughout Turkey, offering competitive prices. In addition, the company focuses on being environmentally-friend...
Tesco Stores SR AS is the leading grocery retailer in Slovakia and is one of the most innovative companies on the market. The company has major ambitions and plans for further expansion, mostly in the...
Tesco-Global Áruházak plans to extend its network of convenience stores and supermarkets to enter cities and towns which are smaller in size, with the possibility of becoming the leading retailer in t...
- Premier Foods to push on with range revamp
- Focus: Why Dairy Crest needs to offload dairies
- UK Responsibility Deal must solve credibility gap
- Why FMCG background key for next Thorntons CEO
- Sweets & Snacks Expo: just-food's pick
- Mars launches "healthy" snacks Goodnessknows
- Unilever CFO Jean-Marc Huet stands down
- JBS "seeking M&A" in Americas, Australia
- General Mills launches Greek yoghurt in Australia
- Dairy Crest earnings fall
- Mars Inc in Packaged Food (World)
- Pizza Delivery & Takeaway in the UK - Industry Market Research Report
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Chocolate Flavors Market by Application & Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2019
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Chocolate and Confectionery Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details