US: Post Holdings H1 profits slide on costs
- First-half net profit slides 56.6%
- Operating profit drops 41%
- Net sales decline 2.7%
Sales of Post's Honey Bunches of Oats and Pebbles, Posts brands were down 2.4% and 6.7%, respectively
US cereal maker Post Holdings has booked a drop in first-half earnings as the company struggled with higher ingredient costs, lower cereal sales and expenses from its spin off from Ralcorp Holdings.
The St. Louis-based company, which spun off from Ralcorp this year, reported a drop in earnings of 56.6% to US$23.3m for the six months to the end of March.
Operating profit amounted to $64.5m, a 41% drop on the prior-year period. Net sales dipped 2.7% to $469.8m. Honey Bunches of Oats and Pebbles, Post's largest brands, saw sales fall 2.4% and 6.7%, respectively, versus the same period a year ago.
However, its Great Grains brand, responded to a new national advertising campaign, and was up 25.2% over last year.
Volumes declined across the Post brand portfolio with the exception of Great Grains, which experienced a year-over-year volume increase of 13% in the six-month period.
In the second quarter, net earnings slumped 64% to $10.5m, while operating profit slid 43.2% to $33.2m. Sales dropped 3.3% to $250.5m.
For fiscal 2012, Post had estimated adjusted EBITDA to be between $200m to $210m. The company now expects this figure, following the separation from Ralcorp, to be in the range of $210m to $220m.
Click here to view the full earnings release.
- Who could swoop for Diamond Foods?
- Trans fat studies show complexity of health debate
- Indonesia - Sweet and sour of confectionery sector
- Indonesia: the key macro issues facing FMCG firms
- Why Quorn Foods auction promises to be competitive
- Quorn Foods agrees sale to Monde Nissin
- Danone, Kerry, Pulmuone also eyeing Quorn
- Mondelez 'preparing to sell European cheese unit'
- ConAgra Foods "efficiency" drive to hit 1,500 jobs
- Mars to buy Mexican chocolate maker Grupo Turin
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Danone SA : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- The Coca-Cola Company : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- E-Grocery Market in India - Market Research 2015-2019
- Global Bakery & Cereals Market: News and Events July 2015