ISRAEL/EGYPT: Potato exports seen in decline, UK a key market
Agrexco, Israel's leading agricultural export company, says it will export 60,000 tonnes of new potatoes during the 2000/2001 season The export of autumn/winter potatoes started at the beginning of November, three weeks ahead of schedule. It is estimated that Agrexco will supply the UK market with nearly 10,000 tonnes of baby new potatoes. Other markets for Israeli potatoes are Germany, Switzerland, Holland, Scandinavia and France, where the supply is channelled to each country according to preferences of varieties.Meanwhile, trade sources said the Egypt's potato industry is in a deep crisis, in view of the fact that many small farmers quit cultivating for this season. This is due to a severe shortage of seeds of the Nicola variety, one of the main varieties grown in Egypt. The reason for the shortage, according to trade sources, is the decision taken by the Ministry of Agriculture in Cairo to ban the import of Nicola seeds claiming "quality problems."It is estimated that Egypt will export during the 2000/2001 season 70,000 tonnes of potatoes, compared with 110,000 tonnes exported during the previous season.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Nestle India grows with global, digital innovation
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- How Nestle tackles Indian challenges - interview
- Lamb Weston goes it alone: six things to learn
- Thailand: convenience to continue to thrive
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Campbell backs US nutrition start-up Habit
- Mondelez focuses on margins as sales slip
- Nestle's Buitoni to remove GMOs
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Meat Processing in China - Industry Market Research Report