BELGIUM: Potato price hike boosts PinguinLutosa Q1 sales
Belgium-based frozen foods group PinguinLutosa has posted a rise in first-quarter sales as the company succeeded in passing on higher potato prices.
The company yesterday (26 April) booked a 4.5% increase in sales to EUR118.6m (US$174m) for the three months to the end of March.
Revenues from PinguinLutosa's potato division jumped 12.6% to EUR60.3m. Sales from the company's deep-frozen vegetable unit, however, fell 2.8% to EUR58.3m. The strength of sterling improved the sales performance from PinguinLutosa's vegetable unit; at constant currencies, sales would have fallen 4.6%.
Volumes from both divisions fell but PinguinLutosa said the 14% decrease in potato volumes was "more than compensated by the increased sales price, which was caused by the strong increase of the purchase price of fresh potatoes". Deep-frozen vegetable volumes fell 6.5%.
PinguinLutosa, meanwhile, said the start of its planned "co-operation" with French co-operative CECAB has been pushed back from 1 May to 1 July.
In October, PinguinLutosa announced plans to take control of CECAB's deep-frozen vegetable business. The deal also allowed for CECAB take a stake in PinguinLutosa.
PinguinLutosa's acquisition of canned foods firm Scana Noliko, announced last month, is still due to be completed on 1 July.
Belgian frozen food group PinguinLutosa has blamed high raw material prices on its disappointing first half results....
- How brands are eyeing their own retail presence
- Why Lactalis could move for Dairy Crest
- Who could swoop for Diamond Foods?
- The consistent inconsistency of European promos
- Indonesia – How ice cream makers can drive volumes
- Nestle, R&R Ice Cream in joint venture talks
- How the food industry is reacting to TPP
- Mondelez 'preparing to sell European cheese unit'
- China implements new safety regulations
- Unilever acquires Italian gelato group Grom
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Global Savory Snacks Market: Merger and Acquisitions August 2015
- Danone SA : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- E-Grocery Market in India - Market Research 2015-2019
- Food and Beverage Coding and Marking Equipment: Market Outlook 2015-2019