FRANCE: Poultry giant Doux pledges investment as administration extended
Doux to focus on prepared products and export markets
Ailing French poultry giant Doux has said it would spend EUR35m (US$45.7m) to modernise its plants as a local court allowed it more time in administration.
Doux has pledged to "optimise" production at its sites, particularly in Brittany, as it looks to reshape a business that fell into administration June amid EUR430m in debts and rising costs.
The company had been given six months to turn itself around but on Friday (30 November) a court extended Doux's period in administration to 19 February.
Doux has sold off or closed its fresh poultry assets. The company said it had shown the court it could operate profitably. It is focusing on prepared products and export markets. The company plans to market its Pere Dodu brand more in France and has identified the Middle East as a key export destination for its products.
Doux forecast 2013 revenues of EUR600m and a "positive operational result".
The company sold off its fresh poultry business in September, with rivals LDC and Glon Sanders each acquiring two plants. Three other sites were closed.
Sectors: Meat & poultry
- Rabobank's early view on Brexit impact on food
- General Mills to invest in "growth businesses"
- How local model protects Nestle - interview
- Quorn Foods confident in prospects - interview
- Brexit sparks uncertainty for UK food - comment
- Nestle names new CEO
- Brexit – Live reaction from food industry
- UPDATE: Hershey rejects Mondelez takeover
- Healthier food a major opportunity for food makers
- Brexit – UK farmers warn of food price spike
- Frozen Bakery Products Market by Type, Distribution Channel, & by Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2020
- Top Trends in Snacks, Confectionery, and Desserts; Exploring consumer and innovation trends in key categories
- Country Analysis Report: Saudi Arabia, In-depth PESTLE Insights
- ForeSights: Edible Cutlery; Cutlery made out of food-grade materials instead of plastic
- Fast Food in India