UK: Poundland owner mulls future of retailer
Poundland boss Jim McCarthy has outlined plans for expansion
The private-equity owner of UK discount retailer Poundland is mulling the future of the business, which could lead to the sale of the company, just-food understands.
Private-equity firm Advent International has appointed advisers to review Poundland's business, which it acquired in 2002.
Advent has appointed the merchant bank Close Brothers to advise on the future of Poundland and a sale of the retailer is among a series of options being considered.
However, Poundland has benefited from the demise of Woolworths plc and plans to expand its 250-strong store estate this year.
The private-equity firm declined to comment when contacted by just-food today (12 March).
Convenience stores are a dynamic part of the food retail sector worldwide. As consumers gain wealth, they lose time - making convenience retail increasingly attractive. The US has blazed the trail for...
In something of a surprise move, Tesco this week announced plans to open more stores in Ireland, one of the European economies most affected by the downturn....
Aldi is planning a fresh assault on the Australian market after seeing its profits in the country jump by more than a quarter in 2009....
Lidl UK has confirmed that managing director Frank-Michael Mros has stepped down from his position....
Aldi has confirmed that Theo Albrecht, the discount grocer's co-founder, has died aged 88....
- Unilever must "speed" response to consumer trends
- Premier Foods CEO expects UK supermarket rebound
- Briefing: The risks and rewards of e-tail in China
- Why US diet guidelines should consider environment
- What the analysts say: Unilever's mixed 2014
- Tootsie Roll CEO Melvin Gordon dies at 95
- McCain to close Grobbendonk plant in Belgium
- Jobs to go at FrieslandCampina cheese plant
- Lifeway Foods CEO denies sale talks
- Unilever revenues disappoint as food sales fall
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets
- 10 Key Trends in Food, Health and Nutrition 2015
- The Future of Retailing in the UK to 2017
- Global Consumer Trend Framework: Understanding Attitudes and Behaviors that Influence Global Consumption Habits
- Meat Substitutes Market - Global Trends, Forecasts up to 2019