UK: Premier Foods doubles Mr Kipling capacity
Mr Kipling cake slices have been extremely successful since being first launched in 1975
Premier Foods plc plans to invest GBP20m (US$33m) to double production capacity of its Mr Kipling cake slice brand.
The investment will see the development of a new production and packing line at the company's cake manufacturing site in Carlton, Barnsley.
The new line has the capacity to produce of 300m cake slices per year, doubling the company's current capacity.
Factory general manager for the Carlton site, Jason Ramsay, said: "This investment is a strong vote of confidence by Premier Foods in the Carlton site and the Carlton workforce. We have been manufacturing Mr. Kipling cake at Carlton since 1975 and this latest news is a huge boost for all of us."
The news comes amidst reports that US billionaire Alec Gores is looking to buy a stake in the Hovis brand as the company struggles to overcome a combined debt mountain and pension deficit of around GBP1.3bn.
Following the ongoing success of Mr Kipling cake slices, Premier Foods today announces that it is to invest £20 million in building a new production and packing line at its cake manufacturing site in Fish Dam Lane in Carlton, Barnsley.
The new line will be capable of producing a staggering 300 million cake slices a year, doubling the Company’s current capacity, to meet growing consumer demand for its Snack Pack format of individually wrapped slices.
Mr. Kipling Snack Packs, available in 6 different flavours, were introduced in 2011 to provide a convenient, on-the-go format suitable for lunchboxes and in-home eating occasions that have since proved a runaway success.
The investment will take 12 months to complete and involve the installation of a mixing station, oven and sophisticated packing robotics adding significant volume to the site.
Commenting on the new investment, Jason Ramsay, Factory General Manager for the Carlton site said:
“This investment is a strong vote of confidence by Premier Foods in the Carlton site and the Carlton workforce. We have been manufacturing Mr. Kipling cake at Carlton since 1975 and this latest news is a huge boost for all of us.”
Original source: Premier Foods
- Premier Foods to push on with range revamp
- Focus: Why Dairy Crest needs to offload dairies
- UK Responsibility Deal must solve credibility gap
- Sweets & Snacks Expo: just-food's pick
- Why FMCG background key for next Thorntons CEO
- Mars launches "healthy" snacks Goodnessknows
- Unilever CFO Jean-Marc Huet stands down
- JBS "seeking M&A" in Americas, Australia
- General Mills launches Greek yoghurt in Australia
- Dairy Crest earnings fall
- Mars Inc in Packaged Food (World)
- Pizza Delivery & Takeaway in the UK - Industry Market Research Report
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Chocolate Flavors Market by Application & Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2019
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Chocolate and Confectionery Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details