UK: Premier Foods suffers share slump
Shares in Premier Foods, the UK's largest food maker, tumbled today (8 February) amid anxiety that the business is suffering financial problems.
The Hovis bread-to-Branston pickle maker has seen rising costs weigh on the business and last month the company warned that pressure would continue this year.
There has been speculation that Premier Foods would have to issue more shares to pay off debts. However, the company said it had no such plans.
"Premier is not contemplating a rights issue," it said in a short statement to the London Stock Exchange. "Based on our expected financial results for 2007, we are not in breach of our financial covenants as at December 2007 and, based on our latest financial projections, we do not expect to be in breach on an ongoing basis."
Shares in Premier Foods stood at GBP110 a share at 16:27 GMT, a fall of over 8.3% on the day.
Companies: Premier Foods plc
With a steady trading update this week, Premier Foods may believe it has stopped the rot at the UK's largest food maker. However, a series of questions still hang over the business and the jury is out...
Premier Foods, the UK's largest food manufacturer, has hired former Sainsbury's customer insights executive Jeremy Garlick to run its consumer trends unit....
Biscuits and bagged snacks producer United Biscuits (UBUK) has appointed Dave Pickup as sales director....
UK retail dominated our pages this week with the news that the Co-operative Group had finally secured the takeover of rival grocer Somerfield. Elsewhere, however, we saw Belgium-based retailer Delhaiz...
Premier Foods has introduced a new line for its Branston brand by entering into the dips market....
Premier Foods, the UK's largest food maker, said today (15 July) that it expects trading profit to be in line with last year after it managed to recoup higher costs with price hikes....
Premier Foods has named Will Carter as managing director of its ambient grocery division....
Premier Foods, the UK food group, has shaken up flagship cake brand Mr Kipling with new packaging, a TV push, and the launch of a bite-size range....
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- PepsiCo sets 2025 nutrition, sustainability goals
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- CP Foods invests in UK foodservice firm Foodfellas
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review