INDIA: Price war worries as Parle cuts biscuit prices
Parle has cut the prices of its popular biscuits
Indian bakery manufacturer Parle Products has effectively reduced prices of biscuit brands including Parle-G in a move that could trigger a price war with rivals including Britannia Industries.
"Parle has increased the weight of a single Parle G biscuit from four to five grams, while not changing the price or the number of biscuits in a pack," a reliable source close to the company told just-food.
The move partly reverses a move three years ago when, in response to higher raw material prices, Parle reduced biscuit weight from 6.25 grams to four grams. The rise to five grams follows "complaints from the consumers on the bite size", the source explained.
Parle expects sales to rise as a result. Competitors are monitoring the situation. In a statement to just-food, Britannia Industries - makers of the Tiger biscuit brand - said: "We expect that in response to slowing industry growth, there will be a slew of interventions from competition, and our responses will be in line with long term brand strategy."
Britannia Industries Limited (BRITANNIA) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review provides you an in-depth strategic SWOT analysis of the company’s businesses and operations. The profile has bee...
Yogurt is produced by the bacterial fermentation of milk, and it is rich in calcium, protein, riboflavin, vitamin B6, and vitamin B12. Cow's milk is used to make yogurt, but even sheep, goat, yak, and...
Canadean's "Modern Dairies Ltd - Company Capsule" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contains a company overview, key facts, major products and se...
This company database offers the most up-to-date company information on bakery product producers in the world. The report includes details for more than 14,000 bakery product producers in the world wh...
- Why Arla upbeat about LatAm prospects
- M&A Watch - Could Cloetta be takeover target?
- Sweets & Snacks Expo: just-food's pick
- Focus: Why Dairy Crest needs to offload dairies
- Comment: Can Applegate retain trust under Hormel?
- Yildiz eyeing further deals - reports
- Weetabix gets new private-equity investor
- PAI, Pamplona "eyeing Bakkavor stake"
- Food industry news of week: GMOs, Arla, Mondelez
- FrieslandCampina ends Bongrain German tie-up
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- The Future of the Ice Cream Market in the United Kingdom to 2019
- Successful New Product Development Strategies in the Food, Drinks and Personal Care Market
- Marks & Spencer (Asia Pacific) Ltd in Retailing (Hong Kong, China)
- Pizza Delivery & Takeaway in the UK - Industry Market Research Report