INDIA: Price war worries as Parle cuts biscuit prices
Parle has cut the prices of its popular biscuits
Indian bakery manufacturer Parle Products has effectively reduced prices of biscuit brands including Parle-G in a move that could trigger a price war with rivals including Britannia Industries.
"Parle has increased the weight of a single Parle G biscuit from four to five grams, while not changing the price or the number of biscuits in a pack," a reliable source close to the company told just-food.
The move partly reverses a move three years ago when, in response to higher raw material prices, Parle reduced biscuit weight from 6.25 grams to four grams. The rise to five grams follows "complaints from the consumers on the bite size", the source explained.
Parle expects sales to rise as a result. Competitors are monitoring the situation. In a statement to just-food, Britannia Industries - makers of the Tiger biscuit brand - said: "We expect that in response to slowing industry growth, there will be a slew of interventions from competition, and our responses will be in line with long term brand strategy."
Britannia Industries Limited - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and ser...
Britannia Industries Limited (BRITANNIA) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review provides you an in-depth strategic SWOT analysis of the company’s businesses and operations. The profile has bee...
Over the review period, Britannia increased its presence in dairy, thereby diversifying its product portfolio beyond bakery (including biscuits, cakes and bread). This was due to its sustained efforts...
This report analyzes the worldwide markets for Bread in US$ Million. The report provides separate comprehensive analytics for US, Canada, Japan, Europe, Asia-Pacific, Latin America, and Rest of World....
- Premier Foods CEO expects UK supermarket rebound
- Why Post is increasing its exposure to cereal
- Briefing: The risks and rewards of e-tail in China
- Unilever must "speed" response to consumer trends
- just-food's pick: Natural Products Expo top 10
- Post Holdings strikes deal to acquire MOM Brands
- Hershey to acquire meat jerky firm Krave
- Up & Go breakfast drinks set for UK launch
- Crisp maker Sibell acquires Spain's Celigueta
- Hershey linked to takeover of jerky maker Krave
- 10 Key Trends in Food, Health and Nutrition 2015
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets
- Unilever - Strategy and SWOT Report
- The Future of Retailing in the UK to 2017
- Global Consumer Trend Framework: Understanding Attitudes and Behaviors that Influence Global Consumption Habits