UK: Processed meat may not be safe, says EC report
Processed meat products made in Britain might not be fit to eat, according to a new report by the European Commission's food and veterinary inspectors. The report, based on an inspection conducted in January, condemned the overall standards of the processed meat industry as giving "rise to serious concern." It blames on-site controllers for "weak or even non-existent" checks on the eligibility of raw materials with insufficient paperwork and questioned the reliability of schemes established to ensure traceability. "The lists of suppliers were in several cases found to be incomplete, not up to date, or to contain wrong information regarding approvals. The failure of controls over incoming raw materials in several premises visited indicated that the operation of fully effective traceability systems could not be guaranteed," the report concluded.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Focus: Thai demographics drive health categories
- Interview: Some Foods on rise of low-FODMAP market
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- China milk powder arrests prompt Fonterra "review"
- Unilever in continuing price spat with Musgrave
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review