US: Profits down at cereal maker Post
Higher raw material costs and lower sales hit Post's first-quarter earnings
US cereal maker Post Holdings has reported a fall in profits in its first quarterly report since its spin off from private-label manufacturer Ralcorp Holdings.
Higher raw material costs and lower sales hit Post's first-quarter earnings, the Grape Nuts owner said yesterday (8 March).
Net earnings reached US$12.8m in the three months to the end of December, down from $23.4m a year earlier. Operating profit fell 36.1% to $31.3m.
Gross margins fell 360 basis points due to higher raw material costs and "unfavourable fixed cost absorption" due to lower production volumes.
Sales slid 2% to $219.3m due to a 3% fall in volumes. Citing data from Nielsen, Post said its share of the US ready-to-eat cereal category was 11.1% in the 13 weeks to 31 December, against 11.5% a year earlier. However, Post said its share increased versus the 13 weeks to 1 October, when it was 10.3%.
The US ready-to-eat cereal sector has seen sales come under pressure in recent months. Data from Nielsen showed industry revenues were up 1% in 13 weeks to 31 December, although volumes fell 6%.
US private-label food group Ralcorp Holdings plans to bring its subsidiaries together to save money and drive "sustainable" growth....
Ron Wilkinson, president of Ralcorp Holdings' own-label cereal business, plans to leave the US food company....
The top stories on just-food this week had a distinctly French flavour. Danone issued a profit warning, with Spain's problems affecting the Activia maker. Meanwhile, French retail giant Carrefour's ne...
Ralcorp Holdings has acquired Italian private-label frozen ready meals maker Gelit for an undisclosed sum....
- How brands are eyeing their own retail presence
- Why Lactalis could move for Dairy Crest
- Who could swoop for Diamond Foods?
- The consistent inconsistency of European promos
- Foodservice focus - all-day breakfast; concept NPD
- Nestle, R&R Ice Cream in joint venture talks
- How the food industry is reacting to TPP
- China implements new safety regulations
- Unilever acquires Italian gelato group Grom
- Mondelez 'preparing to sell European cheese unit'
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Global Savory Snacks Market: Merger and Acquisitions August 2015
- Danone SA : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- E-Grocery Market in India - Market Research 2015-2019
- Food and Beverage Coding and Marking Equipment: Market Outlook 2015-2019