USA: Unilever's Buying Spree Captures More than Nutritional Schizophrenia; USA: PROMAR Affirms That Underlying Consumer Concerns Provide Real Opportunities
Unilever's recent purchase of Slim-Fast and Ben & Jerry's on the same day triggered substantial notice (and guffaws) for its Jack Sprat-like marriage of deprivation and indulgence. Beneath the surface of this unlikely pairing, however, is a common thread that has largely escaped notice: both acquired companies built substantial consumer franchises by addressing key consumer anxieties: health (Slim-Fast) and ethical business practices (Ben & Jerry's)."Consumers are turning to foods, beverages, and the companies that produce them for more than just taste, fuel, and convenience," said Tracy Carlson, Director of Strategic Marketing for PROMAR International. "They are expressing broader aspirations and concerns about health, safety, and the world at large that astute small and mid-sized companies are addressing successfully. The major food companies have begun to pay attention, as they should be, since these low-flying opportunities can provide growth in a sluggish market."PROMAR International has just completed a major study entitled "The Concerned Consumer in the United States: Finding opportunities in anxiety." This study focuses on five issues that provide both risks and opportunities for the food industry: genetic modification, vegetarianism, organic/natural foods, functional foods, and ethical business practices."Kraft Foods didn't buy Boca Burger to tap into the strict vegetarian market, because that's a tiny niche best left to the purists. They saw a broader opportunity," says Carlson. "Similarly, major food companies are confronting the GMO challenge not because of a handful of activists, but because they're worried about soccer moms -- or should be."Details on the study including the table of contents and sample pages can be viewed at:
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- CP Foods invests in UK foodservice firm Foodfellas
- Farmers' groups slam Danone over non-GMO stance
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review