UK: Protestors converge on London for rally against Marks and Spencer's closure plans
Thousands of workers are set to converge on west London today, to take part in a mass rally protesting against Marks and Spencer's (M&S) plans to close the 39 stores that comprise its Continental operations. In March, the struggling high street retailer announced that the closures would take place so that the company can concentrate on its UK operations. British and French unions argue that the company violated French law however, in failing to consult workers on the decision before it was announced. This belief was upheld in a court case in Paris last month, where the judge ordered M&S to postpone the closure of its 18 French stores.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- CAGNY analysis: Danone's growth strategy
- How General Mills plans to grow - CAGNY
- US food next wave on display at Winter Fancy Food
- Comment: Meal kits in US - don't believe the hype
- Interview: A2 Milk Co. chair firm's rapid rise
- Unilever launches operational review
- Unilever 'giving serious thought to split'
- Nestle launches global sugar target
- Bonduelle to buy US produce group Ready Pac Foods
- ABF sees further grocery revival