US: Publix Q3 earnings jump 26%
US supermarket group Publix has seen earnings growth accelerate in the third quarter, on sales that remained relatively flat.
The Florida-based grocer said third-quarter earnings jumped 26.3%, climbing to US$254.9m, up from $201.8m for the comparable period of last year. Nine-month earnings climbed 4.3% to 877.3m.
Third-quarter sales totalled $5.83bn, up 0.6%. However, like-for-like sales dipped 4.7% in the period.
"We are pleased with the improvement in our net earnings compared to the third quarter of 2008. But we understand our net earnings are essentially the same as our results for the third quarters of 2006 and 2007," said Publix CEO Ed Crenshaw. "Even in these difficult times, our associates continue to deliver the excellent service our customers expect."
PepsiCo's Quaker Foods North America is the latest firm to announce a recall due to possible salmonella contamination from HVP, or hydrolysed vegetable protein....
US retailer Publix has recalled four own-label seasoning mixes on concerns they could be contaminated with salmonella....
US supermarket group Publix has booked an increase in full-year net earnings, despite the "difficult" trading environment....
- CAGNY analysis: Danone's growth strategy
- How General Mills plans to grow - CAGNY
- US food next wave on display at Winter Fancy Food
- Comment: Meal kits in US - don't believe the hype
- Interview: A2 Milk Co. chair firm's rapid rise
- Unilever 'giving serious thought to split'
- Nestle launches global sugar target
- Bonduelle to buy US produce group Ready Pac Foods
- Mead Johnson acquires Bega Cheese capacity
- ABF sees further grocery revival