RUSSIA: Putin to ban agri-food imports following sanctions
Russian President Vladimir Putin has signed a ban on agricultural product imports from countries imposing sanctions on Russia
Vladimir Putin has signed a decree for restrictions on agricultural products and food from countries imposing sanctions on Russia over the crisis in Ukraine.
As yet, no official list has been published on what items, or which countries will be affected. The Russian President's decree says "agricultural products, raw materials and food" will be affected. The order also suggests plans to bolster domestic production of affected items.
Agricultural products and food from the US and the EU are set to be affected. Rising tensions between Russia and Ukraine have led to Washington and Brussels imposing sanctions on Moscow, measures that were intensified after the downing of the Malaysian Airlines flight MH17 in eastern Ukraine. The plane is alleged to have been shot down by pro-Russia rebels, who the West claims have been supported by Moscow.
In recent weeks, Rosselkhoznador, the country's federal veterinary and phytosanitary control agency has banned canned food lines and dairy products from Ukraine. It has also hit fruit and veg imports from Poland. However, Rosselkhoznador has claimed the bans were due to the products being sub-standard and denied the decisions were politically motivated.
US industry officials have claimed poultry from the country is set to be included on the list of foodstuffs banned under Putin's decree but sought to play down the impact of a ban.
The official list of what goods are to be affected is expected to be ready today (7 August) according to Russian business daily Vedomosti.
- USDA's GMO move may block mandatory labels
- Premier Foods to push on with range revamp
- Why FMCG background key for next Thorntons CEO
- Focus: Why Dairy Crest needs to offload dairies
- UK Responsibility Deal must solve credibility gap
- Unilever CFO Jean-Marc Huet stands down
- Mars launches "healthy" snacks Goodnessknows
- Premier Foods sees FY profits fall
- Kerry adds to Mattessons' adult snacking range
- Mondelez to cut jobs at Chicago site
- Mars Inc in Packaged Food (World)
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Pizza Delivery & Takeaway in the UK - Industry Market Research Report
- Chocolate Flavors Market by Application & Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2019
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Chocolate and Confectionery Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details