RUSSIA: Putin to ban agri-food imports following sanctions
Russian President Vladimir Putin has signed a ban on agricultural product imports from countries imposing sanctions on Russia
Vladimir Putin has signed a decree for restrictions on agricultural products and food from countries imposing sanctions on Russia over the crisis in Ukraine.
As yet, no official list has been published on what items, or which countries will be affected. The Russian President's decree says "agricultural products, raw materials and food" will be affected. The order also suggests plans to bolster domestic production of affected items.
Agricultural products and food from the US and the EU are set to be affected. Rising tensions between Russia and Ukraine have led to Washington and Brussels imposing sanctions on Moscow, measures that were intensified after the downing of the Malaysian Airlines flight MH17 in eastern Ukraine. The plane is alleged to have been shot down by pro-Russia rebels, who the West claims have been supported by Moscow.
In recent weeks, Rosselkhoznador, the country's federal veterinary and phytosanitary control agency has banned canned food lines and dairy products from Ukraine. It has also hit fruit and veg imports from Poland. However, Rosselkhoznador has claimed the bans were due to the products being sub-standard and denied the decisions were politically motivated.
US industry officials have claimed poultry from the country is set to be included on the list of foodstuffs banned under Putin's decree but sought to play down the impact of a ban.
The official list of what goods are to be affected is expected to be ready today (7 August) according to Russian business daily Vedomosti.
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- The benefits of engaging staff in sustainability
- Ireland unveils national plan to tackle obesity
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Aryzta appoints Gary McGann as chairman
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities