JAPAN: Question over disposal of old cattle raises fears after BSE
Some Japanese farmers are illegally disposing of old or unproductive cattle, which are thought to run a higher risk of contracting BSE.
On 18 October 2001, the Health, Labor and Welfare Ministry ordered that all cattle older than 30 months old must be checked for the disease before they are processed into meat.
There are more than 50,000 such cattle in the country; farmers are reluctant to take them to market and meat-processing facilities refuse to accept them. More than 10% of such operations in Japan are strictly limiting the number of aging and unproductive dairy cows they accept.
The facilities that produce meat-and-bone meal (MBM) are also refusing to take dead cattle since the government introduced a ban in October on the production and distribution of MBM.
As a result, officials have expressed concern that the animals may be being illegally disposed of.
The US Department of Agriculture says it has identified the source of the case of BSE confirmed recently....
US agriculture secretary Mike Johanns has announced that the US Department of Agriculture has received final test results from the Veterinary Laboratories Agency in Weybridge, England, confirming that...
Biotechnology company Vacci-Test Corporation has announced that a simple, reliable and economical diagnostic tool for the detection in live cattle of infectious brain diseases, including Bovine Spongi...
The US Department of Agriculture has said a suspected BSE sample has been sent to the UK for further testing after two separate tests gave different results....
The Ugandan government has banned the import of all dairy products to stop the possible entry of the disease BSE, according to the agency AFP....
Japan's independent Food Safety Commission has today (Friday) approved an easing of the blanket testing of all cows for BSE, paving the way for lifting an import ban on US beef, the Kyodo news agency ...
US meat company Tyson Foods Inc has reported lower income, despite higher sales, for the quarter and half year ended 2 April....
US meat company has filed a brief supporting the US Department of Agriculture's appeal against a recent court decision that has delayed the reopening of the US border to Canadian cattle imports....
- The key questions for digital strategists in 2017
- Unilever 2016 investor day - the top takeaways
- Wessanen's move for Spain's Biogran - analysis
- Whole Foods, Aldi, M&S - retail round-up, Nov 2016
- Burger King, Jollibee: foodservice focus, Nov 2016
- General Mills jobs to go in business revamp
- Verlinvest, China Resources invest in Oatly
- B&G acquires pasta sauce group Victoria Fine Foods
- Hain Celestial appoints Nestle executive as US COO
- Tyson sets up US$150m investment fund
- Confectionery North America (NAFTA) Industry Guide_2016
- How Brands Are Making Our Food Healthier
- Processed Snacks (Savory Snacks) Market in the United States - Outlook to 2020: Market Size, Growth and Forecast Analytics
- Global Dried Processed Food Market 2016-2020
- Frozen Food Production in the US - Industry Market Research Report