UK: Quorn invests GBP30m in production capacity
Quorn has planned a GBP30m investment in to its Billingham production site
UK meat-free goods manufacturer Quorn Foods is to make a GBP30m (US$50m) investment into increasing its production capacity, a move that will see 100 jobs created.
The firm said the decision to grow at its Billingham site was made "on the back of record sales growth" over the last year. The first quarter of 2014 has seen sales up 13.5%.
Quorn is currently exporting to 13 countries. The expansion, which includes the creation of a third fermenter at the plant, will allow it to increase production by 50%.
Kevin Brennan, chief executive of Quorn Foods, said: "While most of the food industry is seeing very little growth, the last 15 months have been our best yet, with the company recording double-digit growth every month.
"A big factor behind this has been the fact that an ever growing number of people are rethinking their meat eating habits and realising that 500 meals a year with meat is too much for our health and the planet.
"Consequently, we've found ourselves struggling to keep up with demand and and we're now in a position where we need to significantly increase our production if we are to maintain growth."
The construction process is expected to take 18 months to complete.
In January, just-food met Quorn CEO Kevin Brennan to discuss the company's recent growth and its expansion ambitions. Click here for the interview.
Euromonitor International Local Company Profiles are a concise set of briefings detailing the strategic direction taken by a company. Discover key contact details, the company background and their com...
Owing to the rise in living standards, rising health awareness, outbreak of animal disease, and ethics, that is, not to kill the animals or the concern towards the animals are driving the people to be...
- Premier Foods CEO expects UK supermarket rebound
- Unilever must "speed" response to consumer trends
- Briefing: The risks and rewards of e-tail in China
- Why US diet guidelines should consider environment
- Emerging markets online: India's food retail scene
- Post Holdings strikes deal to acquire MOM Brands
- Food industry news of week: Unilever, PepsiCo
- Chobani launches Tots infant range
- Tootsie Roll CEO Melvin Gordon dies at 95
- Premier Foods hails "improving" sales trends
- 10 Key Trends in Food, Health and Nutrition 2015
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets
- The Future of Retailing in the UK to 2017
- Global Consumer Trend Framework: Understanding Attitudes and Behaviors that Influence Global Consumption Habits
- Meat Substitutes Market - Global Trends, Forecasts up to 2019