US: Quorn launches vegan product
Meat-free manufacturer Quorn Foods has released its first-ever vegan product in the US.
Quorn has launched an egg-free burger after working closely with Compassion Over Killing, a US animal protection organisation that approached the UK-based firm about reducing its use of eggs.
"The team at Quorn Foods, in cooperation with Compassion Over Killing, is delighted with the results of the work to reduce egg use in our product range, " said David Wilson, Quorn's general manager in the US. "In addition to using 3m fewer eggs a year, the new launch of the Quorn 'egg-free' Vegan Burger has been a huge success with our customers."
Erica Meier, Compassion Over Killing's, executive director, said: "A growing number of people are choosing egg-free foods as a way to protect animals from needless cruelty on factory farms, and we wholeheartedly applaud Quorn for developing its first vegan product. It's a win-win for animals and consumers."
The new Vegan Burger will soon be available in over 1,000 stores across the US, including Giant, Shaw's, Stop & Shop, and Whole Foods Market, the company said.
Compassion Over Killing says it has worked with other companies, including BOCA Foods, Morningstar Farms, and Lightlife Foods, to reduce or eliminate the use of eggs in their products.
Quorn Foods has faced recent criticism elsewhere from US campaigners. Earlier this month the food safety watchdog Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI) urged the Food and Drug Administration to revoke "Generally Recognized as Safe", or GRAS, designation for the fermented fungus used to make the Quorn line of meat substitutes.
It claims it causes gastrointestinal distress and in some cases, life-threatening anaphylactic reactions. The CSPI said it has collected about 500 such reports from Americans and 1,200 from European and Australian consumers.
US retailer The Fresh Market has lifted its target for annual earnings after its profits jumped in the first quarter of its financial year....
US natural and organic grocer Whole Foods Market has raised its full-year earnings guidance after posting a 32% increase in half-year profits....
M&A in the UK food sector was again a hot topic this week as news emerged that private equity investors could be preparing to merge Premier Foods' unwanted brands with fellow UK food group Symington's...
- Premier Foods CEO expects UK supermarket rebound
- Why Post is increasing its exposure to cereal
- Briefing: The risks and rewards of e-tail in China
- Unilever must "speed" response to consumer trends
- just-food's pick: Natural Products Expo top 10
- Post Holdings strikes deal to acquire MOM Brands
- Up & Go breakfast drinks set for UK launch
- Crisp maker Sibell acquires Spain's Celigueta
- Hershey to acquire meat jerky firm Krave
- Hershey linked to takeover of jerky maker Krave
- 10 Key Trends in Food, Health and Nutrition 2015
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets
- Unilever - Strategy and SWOT Report
- The Future of Retailing in the UK to 2017
- Global Consumer Trend Framework: Understanding Attitudes and Behaviors that Influence Global Consumption Habits