US: Quorn opens US office to reignite sales
Cheaper products hit Quorn's US sales in 2013, Brennan admitted
Quorn Foods, the UK-based meat-free products manufacturer, has opened an office in Chicago in a bid to revitalise sales in the US, its largest overseas market.
The company saw its sales across the Atlantic fall in 2013 after the launch of cheaper products into the frozen segment of the meat-free category.
"ConAgra Foods launched a very low-cost, very poor quality product, which didn't help the category, called Lightlife. It was already in chilled but they brought it to the frozen sector. It was almost $2 cheaper than our product. Then a chunk of private label came in and it just made our pricing too high. We've just been going through a price reset to fix that and it takes time," Quorn CEO Kevin Brennan said.
Brennan said Quorn had had a "tough" 2012 in the US and had decided to open a local office to build its business in a market he believes still has "great growth potential".
Speaking to just-food at Quorn's HQ in north-east England, Brennan said Quorn's US business received a boost in December when Wal-Mart increased the brand's listings.
The Quorn chief also said the brand's "non-GMO status" could also be an "opportunity" in the US for the business.
Click here to read the full just-food interview with Quorn Foods CEO Kevin Brennan, in which he discusses:
- How Quorn benefited from the horsemeat contamination saga last year
- Why he wants Quorn to start to emphasise sustainability credentials
- Trading conditions in the UK
- Quorn's international performance and ambitions
Synopsis Canadean's "ConAgra Foods, Inc. : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile ...
In 2012 ConAgra Foods Inc unveiled its “Recipe for Growth”, and since then the company has achieved growth through the acquisition of Unilever’s PF Chang’s and Bertolli frozen ready meal brands, and t...
Euromonitor International Local Company Profiles are a concise set of briefings detailing the strategic direction taken by a company. Discover key contact details, the company background and their com...
The report presents detailed data on consumption trends in the Energy Bars category in United States, analyzing consumption volumes and values. It also provides indispensable data on distribution chan...
- SIAL 2014: Greek yoghurt firm Fage targets Europe
- On the money: Spreads, ice cream top Unilever woes
- Why Nestle is relaxed about the China "drag"
- Focus: Will Danone return to growth in dairy?
- SIAL: French firm Michel et Augustin to enter US
- SIAL 2014: Premier in talks over US manufacturing
- Kellogg, Nestle slammed for "chaotic" salt policy
- Premier cautious on profits after Q3 sales slide
- Mars puts R&D at centre of US plant expansion
- Italy warns of EUR200m hit from Russia ban