US: Quorn opens US office to reignite sales
Cheaper products hit Quorn's US sales in 2013, Brennan admitted
Quorn Foods, the UK-based meat-free products manufacturer, has opened an office in Chicago in a bid to revitalise sales in the US, its largest overseas market.
The company saw its sales across the Atlantic fall in 2013 after the launch of cheaper products into the frozen segment of the meat-free category.
"ConAgra Foods launched a very low-cost, very poor quality product, which didn't help the category, called Lightlife. It was already in chilled but they brought it to the frozen sector. It was almost $2 cheaper than our product. Then a chunk of private label came in and it just made our pricing too high. We've just been going through a price reset to fix that and it takes time," Quorn CEO Kevin Brennan said.
Brennan said Quorn had had a "tough" 2012 in the US and had decided to open a local office to build its business in a market he believes still has "great growth potential".
Speaking to just-food at Quorn's HQ in north-east England, Brennan said Quorn's US business received a boost in December when Wal-Mart increased the brand's listings.
The Quorn chief also said the brand's "non-GMO status" could also be an "opportunity" in the US for the business.
Click here to read the full just-food interview with Quorn Foods CEO Kevin Brennan, in which he discusses:
- How Quorn benefited from the horsemeat contamination saga last year
- Why he wants Quorn to start to emphasise sustainability credentials
- Trading conditions in the UK
- Quorn's international performance and ambitions
ConAgra Foods, Inc. - SWOT Analysis company profile is the essential source for top-level company data and information. ConAgra Foods, Inc. - SWOT Analysis examines the company’s key business struc......
ConAgra Foods Inc is looking to drive growth through the continued development of its private label portfolio and through product innovation. ConAgra is now the largest private label manufacturer in N...
Euromonitor International Local Company Profiles are a concise set of briefings detailing the strategic direction taken by a company. Discover key contact details, the company background and their com...
Owing to the rise in living standards, rising health awareness, outbreak of animal disease, and ethics, that is, not to kill the animals or the concern towards the animals are driving the people to be...
- USDA's GMO move may block mandatory labels
- just-food's pick: Products on show at SIAL China
- Premier Foods to push on with range revamp
- UK Responsibility Deal must solve credibility gap
- Why FMCG background key for next Thorntons CEO
- Unilever CFO Jean-Marc Huet stands down
- Kerry adds to Mattessons' adult snacking range
- Premier Foods sees FY profits fall
- Mars launches "healthy" snacks Goodnessknows
- Greencore convenience focus delivers growth