FINLAND: Raisio stocks rocket as US announce that Benecol is officially good for you
Earlier today, US officials revived the share fortunes of Raisio by announcing that Benecol margarine may justifiably be marketed as 'cholesterol-reducing' rather than as merely 'promoting healthy cholesterol.'The decision, made by the US Food and Drug Administration, means that the food and chemicals group can now sell the spread in packaging which announces its positive health benefits in reducing cholesterol. Investors welcomed the move that will increase its popularity in the US, where heart disease is a major killer.The Benecol dietary supplement contains stanol ester, a natural plant extract which blocks the absorption of dietary cholesterol and results in a significant lowering of serum and LDL cholesterol levels in the blood. The product has been available in Finland for many years but has been underperforming in foreign markets.This morning's stock market action was a turnaround for Raisio, whose investors hope that Benecol will now prove more popular and the product range, which includes cheese and health bars, can now expand further. The company's share value rocketed by nearly 35% to €2.6 and it demonstrated the best performance in Europe today.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Nestle India grows with global, digital innovation
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Thailand: convenience to continue to thrive
- How Nestle tackles Indian challenges - interview
- Lamb Weston goes it alone: six things to learn
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Campbell backs US nutrition start-up Habit
- Mondelez focuses on margins as sales slip
- Nestle's Buitoni to remove GMOs
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Meat Processing in China - Industry Market Research Report