US: Ralcorp again rejects ConAgra's takeover bid
Ralcorp Holdings believes plans to split in two will offer shareholders more value
The latest rebuttal came hours before a deadline set by ConAgra for Ralcorp to enter into discussions elapsed. ConAgra, which had seen Ralcorp reject three takeover bids, including its latest $5.18bn offer, had given its target until 5pm ET to hold talks.
Ralcorp, which has repeatedly said its divide in two would provide its shareholders with greater value than ConAgra's bid, again pointed to the benefits of its proposed split.
The company wants to create two companies - one focusing on its private-label operations and one centred around its branded cereal unit Post Foods - and said the move would "unlock significant value for shareholders".
Ralcorp chairman William Stiritz, who is set to become Post chairman after the split, emphasised his belief that a stand-alone Post Foods could benefit investors. "Post Foods' main asset is its great brand name - it has untapped potential," he said. Looking forward, the management of this valuable asset will not be a combination of the past, but rather it will be creative, imaginative and adaptive in pursuit of shareholder value creation - nothing is off the table. I look forward to spending 100% of my time for as long as it takes to ensure that Post Foods meets its potential with a solid record of success."
ConAgra's offer equated to $94 a share. Ralcorp's stock was down 1.09% at $75.36 at 13:19 ET today.
CAGNY, the annual industry investment conference in the US, was once again full of debate on the challenges and opportunities that the global food sector is confronting and exploiting....
CAGNY, the annual conference where leading US food makers face Wall Street analysts, saw the likes of General Mills, ConAgra Foods and Heinz this week reflect on the trading challenges facing the indu...
This week, just-food was kept busy with news from the Consumer Analyst Group of New York (CAGNY) conference, held in Florida....
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- PepsiCo sets 2025 nutrition, sustainability goals
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- CP Foods invests in UK foodservice firm Foodfellas
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review