US: Ralcorp H1 profits slide on costs
- First-half net profits slide 40.8%
- Operating profits decline 9.3%
- Net sales climb 16%
Ralcorp yesterday booked a drop in first-half profits
Ralcorp Holdings has booked a drop in first-half profits as charges related to plant closures, a legal settlement provision and merger costs weighed on the firm's bottom-line results.
For the six months to the end of March, net profits slid 40.8% to US$91.5m, the private-label group reported yesterday (22 May).
Ralcorp spun off its Post brand cereal business in February and in October last year acquired Sara Lee Corp.'s North American private-brand refrigerated-dough business. The firm has also twice delayed the release date for its first-half and second-quarter earnings.
Excluding costs, adjusted earnings slipped to 72 cents per share from 75 cents. Operating profits in the period amounted to $179.1m, a 9.3% decline on the prior-year period.
Net sales, however, climbed 16%, largely due to the acquisition of Refrigerated Dough. Base-business net sales increased 7% as a result of an increase in overall net pricing in response to "significantly" higher raw material and freight costs.
This increase was partially offset by an overall 4% volume decline driven by weakness in all but the cereal products segment.
In the second quarter, net profits plummeted 68.5% to $26.2m, while operating profits slid 26.5% to $76.1m. Net sales, however, climbed to $1.06bn from $917.3m last year.
Click here to view the full earnings release.
US baker Flowers Foods has reported a slight lift in third-quarter earnings, which were boosted by "solid" sales gains....
Former Sara Lee executive Marleen Vaesen will become chief executive of Belgium-based produce group PinguinLutosa....
- Focus: Why ABF is making bread better-for-you
- Why China was central to Nestle executive change
- just the answer: Gardein founder Yves Potvin
- Analysis: Quality, innovation driving Chinese milk
- Comment: How dairy can leverage nutrition
- Kellogg CEO: sales trends are improving
- Finsbury buys Johnstone's Just Desserts
- Oreo, gum propels Mondelez in China
- General Mills cuts Yoplait sugar by 25%
- Dean Foods brings milk brands under single label
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Global Seasonings, Dressings & Sauces Market: Merger and Acquisitions February 2015
- Consumer and Market Insights: Confectionery Market in the UK
- Food and beverage packaging today – what’s next?
- North America Food & Beverage Stabilizers and Systems Market – Analysis and Forecast upto 2019