US: Ralcorp to consolidate units to cut costs
US private-label food group Ralcorp Holdings plans to bring its subsidiaries together to save money and drive "sustainable" growth.
Ralcorp announced today (1 August) it would consolidate its snacks, sauces and spreads, as well as its cereal and pasta, units into a single company.
"The business will possess leading positions across 20 food categories with superior scale and capability in sales, marketing, research and development and operations," it said.
Ralcorp's snacks assets include Bremner Food Group, which runs seven sites in the US. Carriage House Companies is Ralcorp's sauces and spreads division.
The group's Ralston Foods makes own-label cereals while American Italian Pasta Co. makes branded and private-label lines.
Ralcorp said the consolidation would save US$26-31m in its next financial year and is expected to be completed the following year.
The company also provided an update on the most recent quarter in its current financial year. Third-quarter diluted earnings per share from continuing operations increased from US$0.28 to $0.54. Ralcorp, meanwhile, said net sales increased 11% in the three months to 31 July.
CEO and president Kevin Hunt said Ralcorp continued to be "impacted" by changes at its Bloomfield factory, as well as commodity costs and lower volumes.
However, he added: "We remain confident in our business strategy and believe that we are well-positioned to compete and seek opportunities to grow despite the challenging environment. We believe the actions we are taking, both with respect to Bloomfield and the strategic restructuring, will result in a leaner, more cost efficient operation that is more appropriately structured for sustainable, long-term growth."
Ralcorp will provide more detail on its third-quarter results and its restructuring plans next week.
ConAgra Foods has said it is "excited" about a deal that will mean it becomes the largest private-label group in the US despite concerns over its ability to grow brands and own label, as well as the l...
Last week, just-food spoke with ConAgra's president of sales Doug Knudsen in the wake of the company's deal to acquire Ralcorp. Other deals this week have included the purchase of Metro Group's easter...
- Premier Foods to push on with range revamp
- Focus: Why Dairy Crest needs to offload dairies
- Why FMCG background key for next Thorntons CEO
- UK Responsibility Deal must solve credibility gap
- Sweets & Snacks Expo: just-food's pick
- Mars launches "healthy" snacks Goodnessknows
- Unilever CFO Jean-Marc Huet stands down
- JBS "seeking M&A" in Americas, Australia
- General Mills launches Greek yoghurt in Australia
- Dairy Crest earnings fall
- Mars Inc in Packaged Food (World)
- Pizza Delivery & Takeaway in the UK - Industry Market Research Report
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Chocolate Flavors Market by Application & Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2019
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Chocolate and Confectionery Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details