INDIA: "Record" FY profits for Reliance Retail
Reliance said "value" formats had "solidified" leadership of India's food retail sector
India's Reliance Retail has reported "record" annual sales and earnings, with the head of its parent company hailing the business had turned around during the year.
Profit before depreciation, interest and taxes reached INR3.63bn (US$59.4m) for the year to the end of March. The result compared to PBDIT of INR780m for the 2012/13 financial year.
Revenue jumped 34% to INR145bn, according to a filing from owner Reliance Industries, the Indian conglomerate. Like-for-like sales were up 23%.
In the fourth quarter, sales increased 19% to INR36.39bn. Reliance Industries did not provide quarterly profit figures for its retail business.
During the year, the company said its "value" retail formats had increased their share of the grocery market by 1% to "solidify" its "leadership" of the sector.
"[The] retail business has turned around and is now India's largest retail chain," Reliance Industries chairman and MD Mukesh Ambani said.
As well as food, Reliance Retail operates in sectors from apparel to eyecare.
Grocery retailers recorded healthy growth during 2013, rising in current value by 11% to Rs16,172 billion. Traditional grocery retailers remains dominant in grocery retailers in India, accounting for ...
Department stores remained the only mixed retailers format present in India at the end of the review period. Other mixed retailers categories such as mass merchandisers, variety stores and warehouse c...
2013 was a good year for retailing in India as income levels increased for much of the Indian population. Improvements in the economy encouraged consumers to spend more, benefiting non-grocery retaile...
Agricultural Products in India industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value and volume 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The profile ...
Introduction Food Retail in India industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The profi......
Agricultural Products in Asia-Pacific industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value and volume 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The p...
Organic Food in Asia-Pacific industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The profile also contains...
- What US companies might Nomad Foods buy?
- Competition intensifies among UK burger chains
- Challenges for General Mills with The Good Table
- Why investors are concerned about water risk
- Greek crisis: The impact on shopper behaviour
- Mondelez CEO Rosenfeld defends moves on costs
- Just Mayo under fire from US FDA after complaint
- B&G Foods "front-runner for Green Giant"
- FrieslandCampina H1 earnings up despite flat sales
- Hearthside to buy nutrition bar maker VSI
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Food Flavourings & Colourings (UK) - Industry Report
- Nestle USA, Inc.: Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- Bakery Market in Japan: Forecast, and Market Analysis 2015-2019
- Probiotic Ingredients Market by Function, Application, End Use, Ingredient, and by Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2020