USA: Researcher questions obesity statistics
The growth in American obesity has been concentrated on the section of the population that would already be fat, a dietary researcher from the USA's Rockefeller University has claimed.
Dr Jeffrey Friedman argued that popular opinion depicting Americans as becoming uniformly fatter is untrue. He told the New York Times that National Center for Health Statistics figures since 1991 show the weight of thinner people being stable.
However, the next heavier bloc of US citizens is around six or seven pounds heavier on average than in 1991. Meanwhile, the average girth of the clinically obese has ballooned by 25 to 30 pounds.
The food industry in the United States has been struggling with accusations that it is responsible for the country's "obesity epidemic" but companies are now developing strategies to deal with the pro...
As McDonald's and Wendy's introduce healthier options amid rising obesity levels and a general interest in healthier foods, some fastfood companies have been going in the opposite direction, introduci...
Artificial sweetener Splenda has enjoyed phenomenal success in recent years, and now has a 51% share of the US market. But now it has a fight on its hands, as sugar manufacturers file lawsuits claimin...
The UK food industry has announced its commitment to include on-pack Guideline Daily Amounts (GDAs) on up to eight nutrients, including calories, fat, saturated fat, carbohydrates, protein and sugars,...
Most adults blame the parents for America's child obesity problem, according to a report by market analysts Mintel....
The Australian government has launched an initiative to provide comprehensive national measures of what and how much Australian eat, and their levels of physical activity....
The USDA's Agricultural Research Service has unveiled Calorie-Trim, an all-natural, super-carb product he created to promote better consumer health....
Canadian health minister Ujjal Dosanjh and minister of state (public health) Dr Carolyn Bennett have recognized the need to take action to address the significant public health threat caused by obesi...
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Abbott sees international nutrition sales fall
- Metropoulos invests in Utz Quality Foods
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review