RUSSIA: Retailer Magnit reports mixed results
Store opening costs have hit the bottom line at Russian retailer Magnit in the first nine months of the year, although it saw its EBIT rise.
The company today (28 October) posted a 2.7% fall in net profit to RUB6.98bn (US$235.1m) for the nine months to the end of September.
A spokesperson for Magnit pointed to "high depreciation and amortisation" after Magnit opened "many hypermarkets and three distribution centres this year".
However, Magnit's EBIT was up 16.1% at RUB11.68bn as sales jumped 46% to RUB240.18bn.
Nevertheless, Magnit's like-for-like sales growth slowed in the third quarter of the year. Like-for-like sales were up 7.6% in the quarter, compared to 14.3% during the first nine months of 2011.
Traffic fell 1.7% in the quarter but was up 2.4% over the nine months to the end of September.
The Magnit spokesperson said the dip in traffic was due to the retailer's decision increased prices in July and at the start of August. However, it "returned to the original prices" in the middle of August.
The average ticket, excluding VAT, increased 9.4%, although it was up 11.6% in nine-month period.
Russian retailer Magnit has reported a 4% increase in like-for-like sales for the first three months of 2012 thanks to robust growth from its hypermarket network....
- BRICs and beyond: Fonterra, Beingmate partnership
- Comment: Competition to rise on whey investments
- On the money: Mengniu hones in on "star" brands
- just-food interview: Agropur CEO Robert Coallier
- Consuming issues: The hunger-obesity paradox
- Valio lactose-free trucks stopped at Russia border
- Heinz halves sugar in ketchup launch
- Bisco Misr says Kellogg eyeing majority stake
- H1 profits down at dairy group FrieslandCampina
- Olam sells Cote d'Ivoire dairy to FrieslandCampina
- China - ISA Country Report
- New Strategies for offering Convenience in Food - targeting new occasions, best practice and new solutions
- Other Dairy in Russia
- David Chapman's Ice Cream Ltd in Packaged Food (Canada)
- Global Food and Grocery Retailing, 2013-2018: Market Dynamics, Retail Trends and Competitive Landscape