RUSSIA: Retailer Magnit reports mixed results
Store opening costs have hit the bottom line at Russian retailer Magnit in the first nine months of the year, although it saw its EBIT rise.
The company today (28 October) posted a 2.7% fall in net profit to RUB6.98bn (US$235.1m) for the nine months to the end of September.
A spokesperson for Magnit pointed to "high depreciation and amortisation" after Magnit opened "many hypermarkets and three distribution centres this year".
However, Magnit's EBIT was up 16.1% at RUB11.68bn as sales jumped 46% to RUB240.18bn.
Nevertheless, Magnit's like-for-like sales growth slowed in the third quarter of the year. Like-for-like sales were up 7.6% in the quarter, compared to 14.3% during the first nine months of 2011.
Traffic fell 1.7% in the quarter but was up 2.4% over the nine months to the end of September.
The Magnit spokesperson said the dip in traffic was due to the retailer's decision increased prices in July and at the start of August. However, it "returned to the original prices" in the middle of August.
The average ticket, excluding VAT, increased 9.4%, although it was up 11.6% in nine-month period.
Russian retailer Magnit has reported a 4% increase in like-for-like sales for the first three months of 2012 thanks to robust growth from its hypermarket network....
- Premier Foods CEO expects UK supermarket rebound
- Why Post is increasing its exposure to cereal
- Briefing: The risks and rewards of e-tail in China
- Comment: Tread carefully over payment terms
- Lacklustre sales see Hershey turn to snacking
- Post Holdings strikes deal to acquire MOM Brands
- Hershey to acquire meat jerky firm Krave
- Up & Go breakfast drinks set for UK launch
- Hershey linked to takeover of jerky maker Krave
- Crisp maker Sibell acquires Spain's Celigueta
- 10 Key Trends in Food, Health and Nutrition 2015
- Unilever - Strategy and SWOT Report
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets
- Global Consumer Trend Framework: Understanding Attitudes and Behaviors that Influence Global Consumption Habits
- PepsiCo, Inc. : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report