RUSSIA: Retailer Magnit reports mixed results
Store opening costs have hit the bottom line at Russian retailer Magnit in the first nine months of the year, although it saw its EBIT rise.
The company today (28 October) posted a 2.7% fall in net profit to RUB6.98bn (US$235.1m) for the nine months to the end of September.
A spokesperson for Magnit pointed to "high depreciation and amortisation" after Magnit opened "many hypermarkets and three distribution centres this year".
However, Magnit's EBIT was up 16.1% at RUB11.68bn as sales jumped 46% to RUB240.18bn.
Nevertheless, Magnit's like-for-like sales growth slowed in the third quarter of the year. Like-for-like sales were up 7.6% in the quarter, compared to 14.3% during the first nine months of 2011.
Traffic fell 1.7% in the quarter but was up 2.4% over the nine months to the end of September.
The Magnit spokesperson said the dip in traffic was due to the retailer's decision increased prices in July and at the start of August. However, it "returned to the original prices" in the middle of August.
The average ticket, excluding VAT, increased 9.4%, although it was up 11.6% in nine-month period.
Russian retailer Magnit has reported a 4% increase in like-for-like sales for the first three months of 2012 thanks to robust growth from its hypermarket network....
- Rabobank's early view on Brexit impact on food
- How local model protects Nestle - interview
- Brexit sparks uncertainty for UK food - comment
- Quorn Foods confident in prospects - interview
- How to win in Australian gluten-free cereal
- Brexit – Live reaction from food industry
- Nestle names new CEO
- Brexit – UK farmers warn of food price spike
- Brexit – US confirms commitment to TTIP with EU
- Brexit - UK food trade body issues warning
- Top Trends in Snacks, Confectionery, and Desserts; Exploring consumer and innovation trends in key categories
- Frozen Bakery Products Market by Type, Distribution Channel, & by Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2020
- Singapore Food and Drink Report Q3 2016
- Fast Food in India
- Country Analysis Report: Saudi Arabia, In-depth PESTLE Insights