JAPAN: Retailers feel impact of earthquake
Retailers are feeling the impact of the earthquake and tsunami that hit Japan on Friday, with Costco announcing that two people died in the parking ramp of one of its outlets, while Lawson Inc said that nearly 140 of its stores are out of service.
Costco said yesterday (14 March) that two people died as the parking ramp on its Tamasakai store collapsed. It added that that outlet "sustained significant damage", but all of its other warehouses remain open for business.
Costco said the Tamasaki warehouse will remain closed for "several months" pending "further inspection and repairs".
Lawson said today (15 March) that 139 of its 911 stores are currently out of service, and that it is "striving to secure supplies to our stores" but that "some of our stores are still experiencing shortages of supply".
Meanwhile, Aeon said that it is currently "devoting all of its energies into the procurement of goods and securing distribution routes in order to rebuild a system for delivering goods to our customers as early as possible".
While it did not say how many of its stores were currently out of service, it said it is planning to keep its stores in the area open to the "greatest possible extent and to resume the sale of foods and other daily necessities".
Japanese retailer Lawson Inc posted a first-quarter loss as it was hit by Japan's earthquake and an accounting cost....
The Consumer Goods Forum has unveiled a new set of industry-wide resolutions designed to promote health and wellness....
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- Kraft Heinz: Innovation more important than ever
- Farmers' groups slam Danone over non-GMO stance
- Online snack seller Graze makes US retail debut
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review