JAPAN: Retailers feel impact of earthquake
Retailers are feeling the impact of the earthquake and tsunami that hit Japan on Friday, with Costco announcing that two people died in the parking ramp of one of its outlets, while Lawson Inc said that nearly 140 of its stores are out of service.
Costco said yesterday (14 March) that two people died as the parking ramp on its Tamasakai store collapsed. It added that that outlet "sustained significant damage", but all of its other warehouses remain open for business.
Costco said the Tamasaki warehouse will remain closed for "several months" pending "further inspection and repairs".
Lawson said today (15 March) that 139 of its 911 stores are currently out of service, and that it is "striving to secure supplies to our stores" but that "some of our stores are still experiencing shortages of supply".
Meanwhile, Aeon said that it is currently "devoting all of its energies into the procurement of goods and securing distribution routes in order to rebuild a system for delivering goods to our customers as early as possible".
While it did not say how many of its stores were currently out of service, it said it is planning to keep its stores in the area open to the "greatest possible extent and to resume the sale of foods and other daily necessities".
Japanese retailer Lawson Inc posted a first-quarter loss as it was hit by Japan's earthquake and an accounting cost....
The Consumer Goods Forum has unveiled a new set of industry-wide resolutions designed to promote health and wellness....
- Why Post is increasing its exposure to cereal
- Premier Foods CEO expects UK supermarket rebound
- Lacklustre sales see Hershey turn to snacking
- Comment: Tread carefully over payment terms
- Briefing: The risks and rewards of e-tail in China
- Post Holdings strikes deal to acquire MOM Brands
- Hershey to acquire meat jerky firm Krave
- Up & Go breakfast drinks set for UK launch
- Hershey linked to takeover of jerky maker Krave
- Crisp maker Sibell acquires Spain's Celigueta
- 10 Key Trends in Food, Health and Nutrition 2015
- Unilever - Strategy and SWOT Report
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets
- Global Consumer Trend Framework: Understanding Attitudes and Behaviors that Influence Global Consumption Habits
- PepsiCo, Inc. : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report