NORTHERN IRELAND: Rodgers announces developments on Foot and Mouth Disease in Northern Ireland
The Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development, Mrs Bríd Rodgers MLA, today announced a suspected case of Foot and Mouth Disease in Northern Ireland. Speaking after a meeting in Dundonald House with agri-food industry representatives, Mrs Rodgers said: "My Department has become aware that a consignment of sheep was sent to Northern Ireland from GB just over a week ago, before we were aware of the Foot and Mouth Disease outbreak there and before I banned such movements. That consignment was certified as intended for immediate slaughter. The sheep in question did not in fact go for slaughter. Some have now been found on a farm in Northern Ireland. Our investigations now suggest that some of the sheep involved were sourced in Carlisle at the same time as known infected animals. Staff from my Department are currently trying to trace the ultimate destination of all the sheep in question, but we do know that some went to premises at Meigh in South Armagh. As a precautionary measure, we have placed the holding under restriction and established an 8 kilometre surveillance zone round it. Our vets are on the farm at present and, as a precaution, are slaughtering the stock on the farm. Laboratory testing will be required to confirm whether or not those animals have Foot and Mouth Disease. The carcases will then be incinerated. We will now follow up any contacts.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Wessanen's move for Spain's Biogran - analysis
- The key questions for digital strategists in 2017
- Unilever 2016 investor day - the top takeaways
- Burger King, Jollibee: foodservice focus, Nov 2016
- Whole Foods, Aldi, M&S - retail round-up, Nov 2016
- General Mills jobs to go in business revamp
- Verlinvest, China Resources invest in Oatly
- Hain Celestial appoints Nestle executive as US COO
- Chobani COO Burns to leave yogurt firm
- Nestle invests in Italian pizza production
- How Brands Are Making Our Food Healthier
- Confectionery North America (NAFTA) Industry Guide_2016
- Processed Snacks (Savory Snacks) Market in the United States - Outlook to 2020: Market Size, Growth and Forecast Analytics
- Global Dried Processed Food Market 2016-2020
- Frozen Food Production in the US - Industry Market Research Report