US: Roos shut down following listeria-death link
The US Food and Drugs Administration has shut down the Roos Foods Inc cheese production facility following a listeria outbreak in which one person died and seven were hospitalised.
The "suspension" was ordered on 11 March following an investigation which "determined there was a reasonable probability of food manufactured, processed, packed, or held by Roos Foods causing serious adverse health consequences or death to humans," the body said in a statement.
The facility was inspected by the FDA between 18 February and 4 March 2014. Investigators claimed to find "insanitary conditions".
The FDA said:
- "The roof leaking so badly that water was raining down into the cheese processing room, including onto the cheese processing equipment and storage tanks;
- standing water on the floor throughout the cheese curd processing room in proximity to the cheese vats and in the storage rooms;
- metal roof/ceiling and metal supports exhibiting a rusted appearance with metal flaking precluding effective cleaning and sanitizing;
- food residues found on equipment after cleaning had been performed;
- openings to milk storage tanks and transfer piping were not capped to prevent contaminants from entering or contaminating food contact surfaces; and
- floors, wall, and equipment that were deteriorated and in bad repair, including processing equipment and storage vats with rust holes and floors with rough concrete deterioration."
A swab-test on different areas of the facility found 12 that tested positive for Listeria monocytogenes, 11 of which carried the same "DNA-fingerprint" as the outbreak strain.
No-one at Roos Foods was available for comment when approached by just-food.
Synopsis The report provides a review of the latest news and key events in the global confectionery market during March 2014. Summary Using this report, marketers will effectively gain an insight int...
The report provides a review of the latest news and key events in the global ice cream market during February 2014....
The report provides a review of the latest news and key events in the global soups market during February 2014....
The report provides a review of the latest news and key events in the global fish & seafood market during September 2014....
- Campbell Soup Co.'s M&A plans should avoid fresh
- Mead Johnson wrestles "irrational" Chinese market
- On the money: Unilever aims to get food growing
- 10 things to learn: Campbell's plans for growth
- Briefing: How is gluten-free faring in Europe?
- Hain Celestial buys plant-based food firm Mona
- Post, TreeHouse "in talks over ConAgra own-label"
- Lactalis surpasses Danone on dairy league table
- Nestle replaces India MD after Maggi scandal
- Mondelez Mexico investment to hit 600 US jobs