NETHERLANDS: Rumours of Basismarkt sale unconfirmed
A spokesman from the Dutch retailer Laurus has refused to confirm that the company has made a definite decision to sell its food discount chain Basismarkt due to poor- performance. It is, however, looking for buyers.Laurus controls 200 stores altogether, but has recently been considering the future of the eight, in the Netherlands, Spain and Belgium, which are performing the worst. The spokesman commented: "We will reduce the number of our store formulas, but exact plans won't be confirmed until the end of the year."Increasing price competition has been blamed for the problems of the struggling supermarket, which saw its sales decrease by 6% to €172m in the first half of this year. A statement from the Deutsche Bank explained: "With the price differential between hard discounters and traditional supermarkets having narrowed considerably, discount chains Basismarkt, Aldi and Lidl have lost customers."
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Abbott sees international nutrition sales fall
- Online snack seller Graze makes US retail debut
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review