RUSSIA: Russia bans US meat imports tested for ractopamin
Rosselhohznadzor said it will prevent the import of any meat produced from animals fed using the beta-blocker
Russian has banned the import of US meat amid concern over the use of growth stimulator Ractopamin.
Russia's Federal Agency for Agricultural Control, Rosselhohznadzor, said it will prevent the import of any meat produced from animals fed using the beta-blocker, which is used to also reduce the content of fat in beef and pork.
This drug is banned for use in 160 countries, including Russia and China, but is allowed in 24 countries, including Canada and the US.
Rosselkhoznadzor said any imported controlled products must be accompanied with documention confirming the products were manufactured without using Ractopamin.
"If there is no such document the access of each imported consignment to the Russian market is possible only after laboratory analysis for Ractopamin detection has been conducted," the agency said. "Such system will be in place during the transmission period which will be identified additionally.
"During this period the Veterinary Services of exporting countries must establish systems of laboratory checks for the presence of Ractopamin in imported products and support each product consignment meant for the Russian Market and other CU countries with a laboratory act that testifies the absence of ractopamin in it."
The move could jeopardise around US$500m a year in exports of US beef and pork to Russia, according to Reuters.
The US Meat Export Federation (USMEF) said it does not comment on ongoing government-to-government discussions.
However, it said it supports calls by US Trade Representative Ron Kirk and US Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack for Russia to suspend the new measures and "restore market access" for US beef and pork products.
"Later this week, further meetings will take place between representatives of the US and Russian governments and USMEF looks forward to the outcome of these discussions," USMEF said.
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- PepsiCo sets 2025 nutrition, sustainability goals
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- CP Foods invests in UK foodservice firm Foodfellas
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016