USA: Safeway and GroceryWorks Sign Definitive Agreement
Safeway Inc. and GroceryWorks.com announced today that the companies have signed a definitive agreement creating a strategic alliance between the two companies. Under the terms of the agreement, GroceryWorks will be Safeway's exclusive online grocery channel. A subsidiary of Safeway has invested $10 million in GroceryWorks and assigned a long-term product purchase agreement and received preferred stock in GroceryWorks, convertible into 50% of GroceryWorks' fully diluted common stock. The Safeway subsidiary is expected to invest an additional $20 million in GroceryWorks in the near future. Separately, Safeway also announced they have decided not to invest in Mainstreet USA Corporation. Safeway Inc. is a Fortune 50 company and one of the largest food and drug retailers in North America based on sales. The company operates 1,663 stores in the United States and Canada and has annualized sales exceeding $31 billion. The company's stock is traded on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol SWY. GroceryWorks, an Internet home fulfillment company, is headquartered in Dallas and maintains distribution centers in Dallas, Fort Worth and Houston, Texas. Through its unique fulfillment model, GroceryWorks is able to deliver high quality food and groceries -- including fresh produce, meat and poultry and other perishables -- with same-day convenience, excellent customer service and comparable pricing. The company currently has more than 400 employees, including personal shoppers and delivery team members.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- PepsiCo sets 2025 nutrition, sustainability goals
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- CP Foods invests in UK foodservice firm Foodfellas
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review