USA: Safeway board says unnecessary to split CEO, chairman roles
The board of US grocery retailer Safeway is recommending that shareholders vote against proposals to separate the roles of chairman and chief executive, currently held by Steve Burd.
Safeway's board said the company's corporate governance strategy meant it was unnecessary to separate the posts, reported Reuters.
"The board believes that combining the offices of CEO and chairman contributes to a more efficient and effective board," the board was quoted by Reuters as saying.
Safeway is facing increasing pressure from shareholders to make management changes. Last week, pension fund Calpers said it would withhold its vote for Burd and two other directors seeking re-election at a shareholder meeting next month. Some shareholders have said they will not be satisfied unless the roles of chairman and CEO are separated, or Burd leaves the company altogether.
Companies: Safeway Inc
US grocer Safeway has reported lower third-quarter net income and said it plans to revitalise its Texas unit....
Struggling UK supermarket firm Wm Morrison has announced the sale of 30 petrol station forecourt sites to BP, Somerfield and Tesco....
US grocer Safeway has announced that it will purchase 100% renewable energy to power the company's 270 fuel stations in the United States, its 15 stores in San Francisco, and the Safeway corporate cam...
US grocery retailer Safeway has appointed Dean Ornish, M.D., a leading expert on nutrition and wellness, to chair the company's newly formed Advisory Council on Health and Nutrition....
UK grocery retailer Wm Morrison Supermarkets has announced that it has agreed to sell nine Safeway stores to rival Sainsbury's....
Supermarket chain Safeway has reported net income of $134.0m for the second quarter ended 18 June 2005 compared to $155.2m for the second quarter of the previous year....
Supermarket chain Safeway has reported net income of $131.3mfor the first quarter ended 26 March 2005 compared to $43.1m for the first quarter of 2004....
Retail supply chain exchanges GlobalNetXchange and the WorldWide Retail Exchange today (Monday) announced that they have agreed to merge....
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- PepsiCo sets 2025 nutrition, sustainability goals
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- Farmers' groups slam Danone over non-GMO stance
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image