UK: Safeway boss undaunted by Wal-Mart in UK
Carlos Criado Perez, chief executive of UK supermarket group Safeway , told an audience of retail experts gathered at yesterday's annual convention of the Institute of Grocery Distribution that there was no reason the arrival of US giant Wal-Mart should "massacre the UK retail sector," as customers want more stimulation than the group's famous "everyday low pricing." It was an interesting statement from Criado Perez, who served for over a year as chief operating officer for the international division of Wal-Mart before joining Safeway in August 1999.The Safeway boss firmly denied that Wal-Mart had cornered the market for non-food, which is true, because most of the large multiples have geared up their non-food ranges in the last year or so.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Unilever 2016 investor day - the top takeaways
- Have food promotions reached tipping point?
- Quorn CEO sets out stall for 2017 - interview
- How Tyson's new CEO plans to grow the meat group
- Mondelez goes beyond certified cocoa - analysis
- Nestle unveils process to cut sugar by 40%
- Putin 'wants embargo to run as long as possible'
- Unilever sets new margin target with help from ZBB
- Unilever focuses on "value" of spreads arm
- McCormick to buy flavours business Enrico Giotti