UK: Safeway boss undaunted by Wal-Mart in UK
Carlos Criado Perez, chief executive of UK supermarket group Safeway , told an audience of retail experts gathered at yesterday's annual convention of the Institute of Grocery Distribution that there was no reason the arrival of US giant Wal-Mart should "massacre the UK retail sector," as customers want more stimulation than the group's famous "everyday low pricing." It was an interesting statement from Criado Perez, who served for over a year as chief operating officer for the international division of Wal-Mart before joining Safeway in August 1999.The Safeway boss firmly denied that Wal-Mart had cornered the market for non-food, which is true, because most of the large multiples have geared up their non-food ranges in the last year or so.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- US food next wave on display at Winter Fancy Food
- Comment: Meal kits in US - don't believe the hype
- How General Mills plans to grow - CAGNY
- Does Kraft Heinz want to swallow Unilever whole?
- Wessanen eyes growth in "resurgent" organic market
- Unilever launches operational review
- Kerry operating earnings strengthen on slow sales
- Glanbia focuses on nutrition with Irish dairy spin
- Kerry's Scanlon to replace McCarthy as CEO
- Kraft Heinz pulls Unilever bid