UK: Safeway boss undaunted by Wal-Mart in UK
Carlos Criado Perez, chief executive of UK supermarket group Safeway , told an audience of retail experts gathered at yesterday's annual convention of the Institute of Grocery Distribution that there was no reason the arrival of US giant Wal-Mart should "massacre the UK retail sector," as customers want more stimulation than the group's famous "everyday low pricing." It was an interesting statement from Criado Perez, who served for over a year as chief operating officer for the international division of Wal-Mart before joining Safeway in August 1999.The Safeway boss firmly denied that Wal-Mart had cornered the market for non-food, which is true, because most of the large multiples have geared up their non-food ranges in the last year or so.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Nestle India grows with global, digital innovation
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Thailand: convenience to continue to thrive
- Focus: Thai demographics drive health categories
- The promise of fledgling Czech gluten-free market
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Campbell backs US nutrition start-up Habit
- Nestle's Buitoni to remove GMOs
- Unilever in continuing price spat with Musgrave
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Meat Processing in China - Industry Market Research Report