UK: Safeway delivers strong first half
Second quarter trading statement First half like-for-like sales growth 5.7% Second quarter like-for-like sales growth 5.4% Eighth successive quarter of strong like-for-like growth Our strong trading performance has continued during the second quarter. Like - for - like sales grew by 5.4% during the 16 weeks to 13 October 2001, driven by a combination of rising customer numbers and average spend, and represents the eighth consecutive quarter in which growth has exceeded 5%. Like - for - like sales growth for the first half as a whole was 5.7%. Total sales in the second quarter grew by 5.6%, reflecting our strategic focus on existing stores and the fact that only two new stores have opened in the last 18 months; our very successful new concept stores at Wimbledon and Woking, the former replacing an existing store.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Interview: Sir Kensington's on sale to Unilever
- Analysis: Post discusses rationale for Weetabix
- Interview: "Disruptive" snack brand Hippeas
- Who will buy Danone's Stonyfield business?
- Column: Why snacking is the new meal
- Unilever buys US condiments maker Sir Kensington's
- Tyson shops Sara Lee bakery, Kettle and Van's
- Icelandic to sell Saucy Fish Co. owner Seachill
- Dairy dampens Danone in Q1
- Tyson to buy burger-to-entree firm AdvancePierre