US: Safeway in talks over possible takeover
Safeway admits talks over possible - but declines to disclose interested party
US retail giant Safeway has revealed it is in talks over a possible sale of the company.
Safeway said today (19 February) said the discussions are "ongoing" but did not disclose the name of the interested party.
"Although the discussions are ongoing, the company has not reached an agreement on a transaction, and there can be no assurance that these discussions will lead to an agreement or a completed transaction," Safeway said. "The company will not comment further on these discussions at this time."
Reuters reported private-equity firm Capital Management is in talks with Safeway about a possible deal.
Safeway's shares were up 3.58% at US$35.85 in after-hours trading.
Meanwhile, Safeway said it is looking to sell its 49% stake in Mexican retailer Casa de Ley.
Safeway has also decided to distribute the remaining 37.8m shares it owns of prepaid payment provider Blackhawk Network Holdings, around 72.2% of the outstanding shares in the company to its stockholders.
The grocer also reported net earnings from continuing operations of US$100m, or $0.35 per diluted share, for the fourth quarter of 2013, compared to $170.7m ($0.71 per diluted share) for the fourth quarter of 2012.
The fourth quarter of 2013 included a $57.4m loss on foreign currency translation, a $30.0m loss from the impairment of notes receivable and a $9.7m gain from the reduction of a contingent consideration related to Blackhawk's acquisition of Cardpool.
The fourth quarter of 2012 includes a $46.5m gain from legal settlements.
Sales and other revenue was $11.3bn, compared to $11.2bn a year earlier. Identical-store sales, excluding fuel, were up 1.6%.
- Who could swoop for Diamond Foods?
- Fonterra's full-year results – 10 things to learn
- Trans fat studies show complexity of health debate
- ConAgra suggests there is life in old brands yet
- Why Quorn Foods auction promises to be competitive
- Quorn Foods agrees sale to Monde Nissin
- Danone, Kerry, Pulmuone also eyeing Quorn
- Mondelez 'preparing to sell European cheese unit'
- McCormick India JV hit by row
- ConAgra Foods "efficiency" drive to hit 1,500 jobs
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Danone SA : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- The Coca-Cola Company : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- E-Grocery Market in India - Market Research 2015-2019
- Global Bakery & Cereals Market: News and Events July 2015