US: Safeway names Bocian CFO
Safeway appoints finance chief
US retailer Safeway Inc has appointed Peter Bocian to the vacant post of EVP and chief financial officer.
Bocian will oversee the group's finance functions, reporting in to former finance chief Robert Edwards, who was promoted to the post of president last year.
Bocian most recently served as EVP, head of corporate services and finance at JPMorgan Chase. Previously, he worked at Hewlett-Packard and Starbucks.
Last month, Safeway announced CEO and president Steve Burd will retire in May.
Safeway Inc. Names Peter J. Bocian Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer
PLEASANTON, Calif., Feb. 4, 2013 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Safeway Inc. (NYSE: SWY) announced the appointment of Peter J. Bocian as its new Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer. Mr. Bocian, 58, will oversee the company's financial functions including accounting, tax, audit, treasury, investor relations, planning and business development. He will report directly to Robert Edwards, Safeway's President, and will assume his new responsibilities on February 19.
Mr. Bocian most recently served as Executive Vice President, Head of Corporate Services and Finance at JPMorgan Chase, the New York-based global financial services company. While at JPMorgan Chase, he had overall responsibility for Global Real Estate, Procurement, Technology and Real Estate Finance and General Services for the firm.
Prior to joining JPMorgan Chase, Mr. Bocian spent three years as Executive Vice President and Chief Administrative Officer at Palo Alto-based Hewlett-Packard. Before his tenure with HP, he spent over a year as CFO and Chief Administrative Officer at Seattle-based Starbucks. Earlier Mr. Bocian had a long and successful 24 years with Ohio-based NCR Corporation, where he held positions of increasing responsibility across Finance, working in the Retail, Teradata and Federal System groups. At NCR, he last served, for three years, as Senior Vice President and Chief Financial Officer.
"We are pleased to have attracted someone with Pete's demonstrated business leadership skills and deep financial credentials to our senior executive team," said Mr. Edwards. "His proven ability to effectively manage a broad cross section of complex finance and administrative functions, as well as his extensive experience with retail-focused companies will be of considerable added value to our business."
Mr. Bocian holds a Masters in Business Administration in Accounting and Bachelor of Arts in Russian from Michigan State University, and served in the U.S. Navy.
Original source: Safeway Inc
- How brands are eyeing their own retail presence
- Why Lactalis could move for Dairy Crest
- Who could swoop for Diamond Foods?
- The consistent inconsistency of European promos
- Indonesia – How ice cream makers can drive volumes
- Nestle, R&R Ice Cream in joint venture talks
- How the food industry is reacting to TPP
- Mondelez 'preparing to sell European cheese unit'
- China implements new safety regulations
- Unilever acquires Italian gelato group Grom
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Global Savory Snacks Market: Merger and Acquisitions August 2015
- Danone SA : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- E-Grocery Market in India - Market Research 2015-2019
- Food and Beverage Coding and Marking Equipment: Market Outlook 2015-2019