US/CHINA: Safeway PL brand O Organics gets China milk listing
Safeway's O Organic milk own-label line will be sold throughout China, it has emerged.
SnackHealthy, a US manufacturer and distributor of organic food, said it had secured a listing for the product with "one of Asia's largest retailers".
In a statement, Richard Damion, SnackHealthy's CEO, said O Organic will go on sale in May with UHT and ESL milk products. "These categories are two of the fastest selling fluid milk products in the China marketplace. Our objective is to make it a leading organic milk and dairy brand in the region," he said.
SnackHealthy said the orders placed were worth US$7.3m but did not disclose the identity of the retailer set to stock the line. Damion had not returned a request for comment at the time of writing.
In its statement, the company said UHT milk was "one of the fastest selling products in China's marketplace".
Michele Chen, president of Hong Kong-based sales and marketing firm Sterling Food Solutions, which is working with Snack Healthy on the launch, said "booming" demand in China for imported dairy products was "a significant selling opportunity".
Chen indicated the companies could look to take O Organic across Asia. "This order and export collaboration signals the start of an accelerated growth platform for the introduction of O Organic dairy and perishable products into the Asian market."
- Focus: Will Danone return to growth in dairy?
- Why Nestle is relaxed about the China "drag"
- SIAL 2014: Greek yoghurt firm Fage targets Europe
- SIAL: French firm Michel et Augustin to enter US
- Focus: Why French retail deals could hit suppliers
- SIAL 2014: Premier in talks over US manufacturing
- Symington's acquires Tanfield Foods
- Danone "eyes acquisition of Mead Johnson"
- Kellogg, Nestle slammed for "chaotic" salt policy
- Heinz silent over Polish factory expansion talk