USA: Safeway posts 28% in Q4 income
Pleasanton, California-based Safeway Inc. , the third largest grocer in the US, has reported a 28% rise in fourth-quarter net income to US$384.1m, or 76 cents a share. Overall, turnover increased 6.7% to US$10.7bn, while same-store sales rose 0.8% year-on-year, adjusted for the effects of a strike against the operator of Safeway's Northern California distribution centre at the end of 2000. Safeway said that without the adjustment, sales rose 2.1%.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Does Kraft Heinz want to swallow Unilever whole?
- Focus: Nestle CEO plan to balance sales, earnings
- Comment: Meal kits in US - don't believe the hype
- Why Reckitt Benckiser moved for Mead Johnson
- Is Mondelez's margin target hurting sales?
- Kraft Heinz pursuing Unilever in takeover move
- Kraft Heinz pulls Unilever bid
- General Mills issues profit warning
- Kerry Group staff in Ireland suspend strike action
- Kerry operating earnings strengthen on slow sales