USA: Safeway posts 28% in Q4 income
Pleasanton, California-based Safeway Inc. , the third largest grocer in the US, has reported a 28% rise in fourth-quarter net income to US$384.1m, or 76 cents a share. Overall, turnover increased 6.7% to US$10.7bn, while same-store sales rose 0.8% year-on-year, adjusted for the effects of a strike against the operator of Safeway's Northern California distribution centre at the end of 2000. Safeway said that without the adjustment, sales rose 2.1%.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- General Mills sales woes continue - analysis
- Why personalisation will take-off in US food
- Comment: Meal kits in US - don't believe the hype
- US food next wave on display at Winter Fancy Food
- Column: Kraft Heinz, Unilever and sustainability
- Unilever 'lining up spreads sale'
- UK own-label firm Park Cakes sold in MBO
- Immigration crackdown "risk" for US dairy industry
- Kraft Heinz cuts jobs in US, Canada
- BRF plant suspended amid bribery allegations