US: Safeway Q2 profits plummet
US supermarket chain Safeway Inc today (22 July) posted a 40% fall in second-quarter profits and cut its earnings guidance for the full year.
The retailer saw net income drop from $238.6m in the second quarter of 2009 to $141.3m in 2010.
The figures in the second quarter of 2009 included a tax benefit of $57.8m but the drop in earnings in the second quarter of this year led Safeway to lower its target for annual profits.
Safeway said it now sees earnings per diluted share reaching $1.50 to $1.70, down from an earlier target of $1.65 to $1.85.
Sales reached US$9.5bn in the second quarter, essentially flat on the same quarter last year.
Higher fuel sales and a stronger Canadian exchange rate were largely offset by a 2.5% decline in identical-store sales.
Safeway also cut its target for identical-store sales, excluding fuel, from 0-1% growth to a fall of 1-1.5%.
Chairman, president and CEO Steve Burd said the results were "in line with our expectations" and that the company as encouraged by volume trends in the quarter.
US grocery retailer Safeway Inc has increased its stock buy-back programme by US$1bn....
Barclays Capital have downgraded its ratings on the shares of US grocery retailers Safeway Inc and Kroger....
- What US companies might Nomad Foods buy?
- Competition intensifies among UK burger chains
- Soda draws fire from food in Mexico obesity battle
- Why Flowers Foods organic bread deal is a killer
- Why investors are concerned about water risk
- Mondelez CEO Rosenfeld defends moves on costs
- Just Mayo under fire from US FDA after complaint
- Ajinomoto "eyes acquisitions in Europe"
- FrieslandCampina H1 earnings up despite flat sales
- Hearthside to buy nutrition bar maker VSI
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Nestle USA, Inc.: Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- The Coca-Cola Company : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- Chocolate and Chocolate Candy Manufacturing Industry (U.S.): Analytics, Extensive Financial Benchmarks, Metrics and Revenue Forecasts to 2022
- Food Flavourings & Colourings (UK) - Industry Report