USA: Safeway reports fall in Q3 net income
The No. 3 US supermarket chain Safeway has reported net income of US$281.3m for the third quarter ended 7 September 2002, a telling decrease from the net income of $309.2m that the company posted for the third quarter of 2001, as competition from retail giant Wal-Mart takes its toll. Third-quarter 2002 comparable store sales decreased 0.7% while identical store sales (which exclude replacement stores) fell 1.4%. Safeway characterised these decreases as the result of "continued softness in the economy". Total sales increased to $8.1bn from $8.0bn in the third quarter of 2001, primarily due to new store openings.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- PepsiCo sets 2025 nutrition, sustainability goals
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- CP Foods invests in UK foodservice firm Foodfellas
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review