USA: Safeway reports fall in Q3 net income
The No. 3 US supermarket chain Safeway has reported net income of US$281.3m for the third quarter ended 7 September 2002, a telling decrease from the net income of $309.2m that the company posted for the third quarter of 2001, as competition from retail giant Wal-Mart takes its toll. Third-quarter 2002 comparable store sales decreased 0.7% while identical store sales (which exclude replacement stores) fell 1.4%. Safeway characterised these decreases as the result of "continued softness in the economy". Total sales increased to $8.1bn from $8.0bn in the third quarter of 2001, primarily due to new store openings.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- The key questions for digital strategists in 2017
- Unilever 2016 investor day - the top takeaways
- Wessanen's move for Spain's Biogran - analysis
- Whole Foods, Aldi, M&S - retail round-up, Nov 2016
- Burger King, Jollibee: foodservice focus, Nov 2016
- General Mills jobs to go in business revamp
- Verlinvest, China Resources invest in Oatly
- B&G acquires pasta sauce group Victoria Fine Foods
- Hain Celestial appoints Nestle executive as US COO
- Tyson sets up US$150m investment fund