UK: Safeway reports profits in line with forecasts; pension deficit
UK grocer Safeway, the subject of a takeover inquiry by competition authorities, today [Thursday] reported annual profits in line with guidance given last month. Like-for-like sales in the fourth quarter to the end of March declined 0.1%, some way behind market leader Tesco which reported fourth quarter growth of 4.4% to the end of February and J Sainsbury which posted like-for-like growth of 1.3% for the quarter ended March.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- US food next wave on display at Winter Fancy Food
- How General Mills plans to grow - CAGNY
- Comment: Meal kits in US - don't believe the hype
- Does Kraft Heinz want to swallow Unilever whole?
- Wessanen eyes growth in "resurgent" organic market
- Unilever launches operational review
- Kerry operating earnings strengthen on slow sales
- Glanbia focuses on nutrition with Irish dairy spin
- Kerry's Scanlon to replace McCarthy as CEO
- Mondelez launches savoury snacks brand Vea