UK: Safeway reports profits in line with forecasts; pension deficit
UK grocer Safeway, the subject of a takeover inquiry by competition authorities, today [Thursday] reported annual profits in line with guidance given last month. Like-for-like sales in the fourth quarter to the end of March declined 0.1%, some way behind market leader Tesco which reported fourth quarter growth of 4.4% to the end of February and J Sainsbury which posted like-for-like growth of 1.3% for the quarter ended March.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Unilever 2016 investor day - the top takeaways
- The key questions for digital strategists in 2017
- Wessanen's move for Spain's Biogran - analysis
- Have food promotions reached tipping point?
- How Tyson's new CEO plans to grow the meat group
- General Mills jobs to go in business revamp
- Japan's Nagatanien buys Chaucer Food Group
- B&G acquires pasta sauce group Victoria Fine Foods
- Verlinvest, China Resources invest in Oatly
- Tyson sets up US$150m investment fund