UK: Safeway reports profits in line with forecasts; pension deficit
UK grocer Safeway, the subject of a takeover inquiry by competition authorities, today [Thursday] reported annual profits in line with guidance given last month. Like-for-like sales in the fourth quarter to the end of March declined 0.1%, some way behind market leader Tesco which reported fourth quarter growth of 4.4% to the end of February and J Sainsbury which posted like-for-like growth of 1.3% for the quarter ended March.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- 2017: three major drivers of M&A strategy
- just-food 2017 Survey - your thoughts on growth
- Food market in 2017: need-to-know US trends
- 2017 - what will shape the UK food sector?
- Could BRF's Turkey move pave way for OneFoods IPO?
- Premier Foods issues profit warning
- UK's Bakkavor plays down IPO "speculation"
- Ferrero insists Nutella not pulled from shelves
- Lindt sees FY sales acceleration on Europe growth
- Unilever sets packaging target