UK: Safeway sales are up ahead of first half profits announcement
Safeway, the UK supermarket operator, reported strong trading conditions in the second quarter. Sales grew by some 5.1% in Q2 (the 16 weeks to 14 October). "This growth, together with the increase achieved in the first quarter, will enable us to report a good first half profit advance," the company said in a statement. Crucially, Safeway is enjoying some success in the market after abolishing its ABC loyalty card scheme earlier this year, in favour of concentrating on price reductions. However, market analysts report that the company will find it harder to make further progress.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- The key questions for digital strategists in 2017
- Unilever 2016 investor day - the top takeaways
- Wessanen's move for Spain's Biogran - analysis
- Burger King, Jollibee: foodservice focus, Nov 2016
- Have food promotions reached tipping point?
- General Mills jobs to go in business revamp
- Verlinvest, China Resources invest in Oatly
- B&G acquires pasta sauce group Victoria Fine Foods
- Tyson sets up US$150m investment fund
- Japan's Nagatanien buys Chaucer Food Group