UK: Sainsbury’s CEO admits Asda threat
Sir Peter Davis, CEO of UK supermarket group J Sainsbury, admitted the chain may lose its position as second-largest grocer to Wal-Mart subsidiary Asda. Taylor Nelson Sofres data puts Asda's share of the UK grocery market in the three months to 15 September only marginally behind Sainsbury's 11.7% at 11%. Trading during the Christmas season tends to favour Asda, as it carries a higher proportion of non-food lines.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- General Mills sales woes continue - analysis
- Comment: Meal kits in US - don't believe the hype
- Why personalisation will take-off in US food
- US food next wave on display at Winter Fancy Food
- Analysis: Chocolate sector's deforestation pledge
- Kraft Heinz cuts jobs in US, Canada
- Immigration crackdown "risk" for US dairy industry
- Fonterra cuts earnings forecast
- Unilever invests in Dutch meat substitute project
- General Mills books lower 9M sales and profits