UK: Sainsbury's gains; Tesco, Asda lose share - Kantar
Sainsbury's gained share of UK grocery sales
During the 12 weeks to 31 October, Sainsbury's sales rose 6.1% in a market that Kantar said grew by 4%. The increase in sales took Sainsbury's share of the UK food retail sector from 15.9% to 16.2%.
Sainsbury's has been busy expanding its store estate, which is likely to have boosted the numbers but Kantar communications director Ed Garner said the retailer had benefited from a balance between price and quality.
"The large customer base of the top four retailers means that they must strike a balance between price and quality – low prices alone will not be enough to lure shoppers this Christmas. Sainsbury’s has hit a sweet spot with this balance and this is reflected in its continued growth," Garner said.
Tesco's sales rose 3.7%, slower than the overall market, which led its share to dip from 30.7% to 30.6%. Asda's sales were up by 3.4%, pushing its share of the market from 17.3% to 17.2%.
Morrisons, meanwhile, saw its sales climb 3.8%, leaving its market share static at 11.7%.
Kantar also reported that food inflation stood at 3% during the 12 weeks to the end of October.
This week has been marked by some high profile acquisition plays with ConAgra Foods making its desire to acquire Ralcorp Holdings known and DuPont making its final offer for Danisco. Meanwhile, the UK...
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Thailand: convenience to continue to thrive
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: Some Foods on rise of low-FODMAP market
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Unilever in continuing price spat with Musgrave
- China milk powder arrests prompt Fonterra "review"
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review