UK: Sainsbury's Q3 results prove strong for food but flat for group after "tough" Christmas
- Christmas trading period "tough" says CEO
- LFL group sales at 0.2% for Q3
- Groceries online sees 10% growth during quarter
- Christmas food ordering service up 24%
Sainsbury's saw its sales growth slow in its third quarter as a "very tough" October and November weighed on its results.
In the 14 weeks to 4 January, the UK supermarket retailer booked total like-for-like sales growth of 0.2%.
CEO Justin King said the quarter had been characterised by a "very tough" sales environment throughout October and November, with customers saving up in order to treat their families over the Christmas period.
Nonetheless, the grocer recorded total sales growth of 2.5% (inc. fuel) for the period, with 28m customer transactions in the seven day run up to Christmas.
"Monday 23rd December was the busiest day and saw our biggest trading hour, with customers spending nearly GBP17m," King said. "Also on the 23rd, Stanway in Essex was our first ever store to take GBP1m in sales in one day."
The supermarket reported an increase of 10% in the number of Taste the Difference products sold with over 100,000 Taste the Difference fresh turkeys and turkey crowns sold.
Its Christmas food ordering service was up 24% year-on-year and groceries online saw a growth of over 10% during Q3.
J Sainsbury plc (SBRY) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review provides you an in-depth strategic SWOT analysis of the company’s businesses and operations. The profile has been compiled by Glob...
Project Synopsis: MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity unde...
J Sainsbury Plc is one of the UK’s “big four” retailers alongside Tesco, Wm Morrison and Asda Group. The retailer has performed well over recent years and with 33 consecutive quarters of growth, it i...
- Who could swoop for Diamond Foods?
- Trans fat studies show complexity of health debate
- Indonesia - Sweet and sour of confectionery sector
- Why Quorn Foods auction promises to be competitive
- Indonesia: the key macro issues facing FMCG firms
- Quorn Foods agrees sale to Monde Nissin
- Danone, Kerry, Pulmuone also eyeing Quorn
- Mondelez 'preparing to sell European cheese unit'
- ConAgra Foods "efficiency" drive to hit 1,500 jobs
- Mars to buy Mexican chocolate maker Grupo Turin
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Danone SA : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- The Coca-Cola Company : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- E-Grocery Market in India - Market Research 2015-2019
- Global Bakery & Cereals Market: News and Events July 2015