UK: Sainsbury's Q3 results prove strong for food but flat for group after "tough" Christmas
- Christmas trading period "tough" says CEO
- LFL group sales at 0.2% for Q3
- Groceries online sees 10% growth during quarter
- Christmas food ordering service up 24%
Sainsbury's saw its sales growth slow in its third quarter as a "very tough" October and November weighed on its results.
In the 14 weeks to 4 January, the UK supermarket retailer booked total like-for-like sales growth of 0.2%.
CEO Justin King said the quarter had been characterised by a "very tough" sales environment throughout October and November, with customers saving up in order to treat their families over the Christmas period.
Nonetheless, the grocer recorded total sales growth of 2.5% (inc. fuel) for the period, with 28m customer transactions in the seven day run up to Christmas.
"Monday 23rd December was the busiest day and saw our biggest trading hour, with customers spending nearly GBP17m," King said. "Also on the 23rd, Stanway in Essex was our first ever store to take GBP1m in sales in one day."
The supermarket reported an increase of 10% in the number of Taste the Difference products sold with over 100,000 Taste the Difference fresh turkeys and turkey crowns sold.
Its Christmas food ordering service was up 24% year-on-year and groceries online saw a growth of over 10% during Q3.
Asda Stores Limited - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and service offe...
J Sainsbury plc - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and service offering...
Synopsis Canadean's "ASDA Stores Limited: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Report" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contains a company overvie...
- Analysis: Is Heinz, Kraft merger "a growth story"?
- The challenges awaiting ConAgra's new CEO
- Focus: Can Mars gain share in Indian chocolate?
- Why Heinz-Kraft merger could herald more deals
- The challenge of digital marketing and ROI
- Fatal explosion at French desserts firm Senagral
- UPDATE: Heinz, Kraft strike merger agreement
- Infographic: Heinz, Kraft unveil combined business
- Buffett: Kraft Heinz to withstand health focus
- ConAgra confirms another private-label charge